Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wonder Woman Costume - you call it a bathing suit- I call it Iconic

The first time I saw Wonder Woman, I fell in love. I fell in love with her strength, her kindness, her resolve, and her costume.  Yes her costume. I loved that it looked like the American flag and I loved her long, flowing hair and tiara. I thought she was perfect. 44 years later, I still feel the same way.

To see the current creative team call her trademark outfit "a bathing suit" completely misses the mark. Putting her in leggings and a coat isn't going to make it better, and as past attempts to change her have found, it isn't going to have the same resonance.

I loved Brian Azzarello's take on Wonder Woman. The greek mythology, the savage loyalty, and the confidence Diana displayed every step of the way made me eager to grab each issue. Now with Meredith and David Finch on the book, I just shudder. I hate the way she is portrayed. I reminds me of the 1970's Wonder Woman in part- weepy, overwhelmed, and reliant on the opinions of others. The story doesn't flow well for me- too many things are going on and the plot jumps around until my head hurts. I can't wait for the inevitable creative change.

In the meantime, we are bowing to the so called feminists- being one myself, I find it odd that they would try and pinpoint that. Updating a character to fill a niche does not work. The complete obsession with under sexualizing characters to appeal to the loud few always irritates me.

You call it a bathing suit, I call it Iconic. Long live the bathing suit!
Link to article that set me off:

4 comments:

Shawn Levasseur said...

It was good enough for Gloria Steinem's "Ms." Magazine to put on their cover.

Heidi Meeley said...

That is an excellent point! Thank you!

Milasha said...

Never tell that virtual space is for dumb people who lack some basic social skills. I like communicating with people in the format of real life, but it doesn’t means I can’t date online. It’s much more convenient because I don’t have to think where to go to meet a girl I like. dating agency

Adeel Nazar said...

hy, there you will all the awesome information they about sofitel singapore