Thursday, September 16, 2004

Cool Stuff, Quirky Stuff

I have made some cool acquisitions lately that I feel the need to spread the word about. The coolest thing I have gotten in several years is a Green Ipod Mini. It is the most badass thing since sliced bread. I put the music I want on it and roll. It is especially great for working out. I can get on the tread mill or exercise bike and not worry about it going anywhere. My old CD player was a pain in the ass that kept coming unattached to the purse-like strap that held it up. Also, I was limited in what I could listen to. With the Ipod Mini, I pick what I want to listen to and have great mixes. As far as MP3 players go, it is the shiznit.

Motley Crue: Music To CrashYour Car To Volume 1 is my other must-have. I know, I know, don't start with me about butt rock and such! I was in high school and college in the mid and late eighties, and to this day I am a major metal fan. I have seen the Crue in concert several times, and take their image in stride. Volume 1 of their two boxes contains all the old school Crue that made me want to be a metal head in the first place. It was spendy, coming in around $50, but worth every penny. The set has 4 CD's and includes the Leathur Original Mix of their first album. It also has remixes and rarities that make the set a steal for Crue fans.

Confessions of An Heiress: A Tongue-In-Chic Peek Behind the Pose by Paris Hilton is the feel good book of the month. I bought it on Amazon.com for $15.40 and it a hilarious, self-deprecating POV book from the chick you love to hate. Paris lets the readers know that she is in on the joke, and doesn't really give a rats ass what we think. She is rich and attractive and knows exactly how to promote herself to maximum effect. As a fellow woman, I have to admire the fact that she understands life and the little games we all play to get ahead, even if I don't always agree with her methods. Full of glossy color photos, and reeking of trendiness, I found myself liking Paris more as I read each page. To think, Nicole was always the reason I thought The Simple Life was such a hoot. Paris was in on the joke too.

I also picked up Guys Gone Wild on DVD in an effort to support the equal-nude time for men. As someone who has seen Girls Gone Wild on DVD and been partially horrified and partially amused, I have to give this company credit for having the, ahem, balls to give women their equal time. I haven't watched it yet, as I figured it would be way funner to do so on a Saturday night with my chick friends after a few martinis. I will report back to you after the gala viewing.

My last major purchase was Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination. I have read it three times, and am absolutely entranced by it. Written by Author Helen Fielding of Bridget Jones Diary fame, Olivia Joules is a an incredible look at a woman who lives by her instinct in a world that is all too real. Olivia is accused of letting her imagination get away from her more times then she would like to admit, so when she finds that she isn't as far off base as she originally was led to believe, there comes a freedom and a joy that the reader experiences along with her. This is the best book I have read in a long time, and I know that I will find myself perusing it several more times before it finds a permanent place on my book shelf.

Though my major love is comic books ( and my hubby), I like to read books and listen to music to break things up, and find that waiting and saving my money for special acquisitions is half the fun. I hope to pick up Volume 2 of the Motley Crue set, and maybe a few new DVD's down the road. It is all about being picky and making fun choices.

No comments: