Thursday, September 29, 2005

Harsh! Hated Female Characters #7: Scarlet Witch

For years the Scarlet Witch was my favorite Avenger. I couldn't imagine the team without her, even though I tended to be put off a tad by her relationship and subsequent marriage with the Vision. Wanda still intrigued me with her chaos powers and awkward family bonds with brother Quicksilver and father Magneto. Despite it all, Wanda remained a fighter and a hero.

Then Avengers Dissembled happened.

Wanda Maximoff is totally ruined for me. She has been turned into the ultimate villain and I can't stomach it. For that reason, the Scarlet Witch is number 7 on my list.

2 comments:

Carl said...

Yep, I used to love Scarlet Witch long, long ago. I loved the Vision 'cause he was like Mr. Spock, yet, somehow, they fell in love. And I guess 'cause I was a strange kid that loved that stuff, it never seemed odd to me.
I grew up in the '60s when races were not supposed to date, much less marry and later, that era became the time where barriers were broken. And so it went for so many years. And then.... Bendis. I used to love the guy, actually met him at Megacon, got books signed. Still love his Powers and such. But no love, more like passionate hate for what he did to Wanda, the Vision and The Avengers. He destroyed 30 years of continuity in less then 5 issues and took a superpower "A" team to the minor leagues. If a real villain shows up (that is, they don't get real powerful members back) they are SCREWED. Thanks Bendis, you've made a great character and group totally worthless to countless fans across the world...

Heidi Meeley said...

You are preaching to the choir, Carl. Taking 30 years of continuity and flushing it takes some balls, and in a way it has backfired. I don't think I will ever be able to look at the Scarlet Witch the same way again.