Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Harsh! Hated Female Characters #8:Emma Frost


Emma Frost
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley.
Emma Frost might be the darling of the X-Men these days, but I am not buying a minute of it. To me, she will always be the evil witch who tried on many occasions to defeat them. I agree with Kitty in Astonishing X-Men. She may have to work with her for the time being, but that doesn't mean she has to like it.

Emma first showed up in the same debut issue as Kitty Pryde, of all people. It was Uncanny X-Men #129, and Emma was the White Queen of the Hellfire Club. Back then she was bent on the X-Men's destruction, and showed no mercy to them at all. Things didn't improve when Emma formed her own group, The Hellions.

Through the Hellions, and with the Hellfire Club, Emma over and over tried to defeat the good guys. She was shallow, materialistic, and bitchy. Even when Emma supposedly became a good guy and mentored the kids in Generation X, there was still an unforgivable mean streak.

That is why Marvel cannot pull the wool over my eyes. Emma hasn't redeemed herself anymore then my 8 year old nephew has gotten tired of video games. To add insult to injury, Emma is now dating Scott Summers, a man she started a mental affair with during Grant Morrison's New X-Men tenure. I could forgive a lot of things, but dating Jean Grey's beloved Slim is more then I can take.

It has been alluded to in Astonishing X-Men #12 that Emma may not be on the up and up, and I hope that is the case. She isn't a heroine to me, but a villain I love to hate. Bring me back the Emma we deserve to read about, not this sugar coated, watered down version that has become so familiar.

2 comments:

Carl said...

I had not read an X-Men comic in years, then picked "Astonishing" 'cause Joss Whedon was penning the book. my first reaction (being ignorant to the huge changes in The X-Men books) was: WHAT THE ****?!!!!!! Emma and Scott are lovers?!!! I mean, why not have Storm and Magneto hook up? How about a new team member that's a cute baby "Swarm"? I love Whedon and am glad that he didn't start this mess, but I would trust Emma Frost the day hell froze over. I mean, jeez, my second thought after finding out Scott was with her was, damn, that's like sleeping with Hitler, ick...

Heidi Meeley said...

I feel your pain, Carl. I absolutely hate the Scott-Emma "thing". I hate to sound like a fanboy, but I am resentful of it and will never be a fan because to me Jean and Scott were so perfect.

I agree that it is just a matter of time until the things you mention happen- next thing you know, Mystique will be hitting it with the Blob and they will run the X-Men. Chuck and the original five will just be a distant memory.

Great input- I agree 150%!