Sunday, September 03, 2006
Y The Last Man Theories: Who Killed All The Men??
I don't want to spoil the various adventures, so I will summarize by saying that there are many interested parties who have a stake in discovering the fault so that the cure may be given. Issue 50 promises to reveal the reason of the death of all men, and issue 60 will be the final issue. Since issue 49 is coming out next week, I wanted to take the opportunity to guess at some possiible reasons for the demise of men.
1. Dr. Mann's father was a brilliant geneticist. Maybe he is still alive and is the cause.
2. Dr. Mann's father had a mistress. Maybe she is the cause. She is also a well known scientist with unknown ulterior motives and a spy in Yorick's midst.
3. Dr. Mann tried to clone herself. Maybe she released some kind of toxin into the environment while trying to give birth.
4. The amulet of Helene is a well known piece of mysticism. It is rumored that if it were to leave it's homeland that carnage and death would ensue. Well, it definitely left Israel, so it could be a cause. Unfortunately, the amulet was destroyed.
5. The Israel government could have something to do with it all. The most dangerous women soldiers hail from that area, and they seem to be hiding something.
6. The monkeys on the planet that have been experimented on may have something to do with it. Maybe something in their bloodstream was released, or was meant to be a carrier for the cure. Since Yorick has a monkey, it could be that Ampersand was a cure from day one.
7. It could be something that I haven't even guessed!
I am really interested to see what happens in issue 50, as Y The Last Man has been a very intense, addicting read for me, and all signs point to one of the above. My money is on the Mistress at this point, but I am prepared to be surprised.
Any theories I missed?