Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Things I Am Thankful For - Part 1

With Thanksgiving around the corner, I think now is a good time to reflect on the things we should be thankful for. I know that there are many things I take for granted that are wonderful blessings in my life, and I am sure you could think of a few things as well. Here are a few things I am thankful for to start my list.

1. Good health and the use of all my body parts
My grandma had polio in the 1950's and is in a wheelchair. She has overcome a great deal of adversity in her life, and has maintained a positive Christian attitude. How lucky am I to be able to walk across the room to get a soda? How easy is it for me to go walk four miles and have energy for more? For this I am very thankful.

2. I still have a full set of Grandparents
I am 38 years old and still have both my grandpa and grandma around to share time with. Though they have some days that are better then others, the joy I get from their company is unparalleled. I was able to sit next to my grandfather Sunday for lunch, and it was some of the best quality conversation I have had for a long time. My grandparents are not only incredible people, but also set an example for me. They have been married 60 years and are going strong. One piece of advice they have given me is that fighting with your spouse is better then ignoring them. That way the problems couples encounter can come to the surface and be dealt with. For this advice, and many more things they have shared with me, I am very thankful.

3. I have a happy marriage
My husband Jim and I have an enviable marriage. Our love has deepened and matured into a wonderful union. We have respect for each other and communicate as much as possible. We also have a lot of common interests, including comic books. I like to spend time with Jim and treasure the days we can stay home together. I know he feels the same way about me as I feel about him and we tell each other we love the other several times a day- we can't help it. For my happy marriage, I am thankful.

This is a start to the list of things I am thankful for. There are so many things to be happy about, and it bothers me that so many people get stuck in the muck rather then enjoying what they have. I subscribe to the "pay it forward" theory of doing good deeds for others, even if it is just a matter of letting them pull out before me in a parking lot.

Sorry to be sappy, but I believe it is good to revisit the positive things rather then focus on the negative. Life is filled with enough adversity as it is.

No comments: