Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Love/Hate Relationship: The Wonder Girl Mini Bust

When I looked at the DC solicitations for February 2008 on Comic Book Resources, I stopped and just stared. Right in front of me was a solicitation for a Wonder Girl mini bust designed by Terry Dodson. No, it wasn't Donna or classic Wonder Woman as Wonder Girl. It was Cassie. Hmmmm..

For whatever reason, Cassie getting a mini bust took me by surprise. I guess I didn't realize how popular she had gotten and how much exposure has surrounded her as a character. It really shouldn't be a surprise as Cassie was a player in Infinite Crisis and in the Wonder Woman and Teen Titan titles. I just didn't expect it.

I appreciate Cassie and am glad to see how she has evolved in the DCU. I just don't know if I would spend the money to purchase this product. I just picked up the Black Canary mini bust based on designs by Adam Hughes and it is alright, but I had intended it to be my last "statuette" purchase for a long time.

Is it because Cassie has been focused to the teen and "tween" markets that I am reticent? I think so. As a middle aged buyer of product I would probably spend money on a mini bust of Dizzy from 100 Bullets before I would buy this. Maybe it is the frame of mind I am in.

I am a fan of Terry Dodson's work. I was fortunate to meet Terry and his wife Rachel at a Seattle Comicard Show a few years back and they were very nice. What concerns me is how the cute sketch Terry did has evolved into a "surprised look" from a big smile. I think that must be the bottom line here. My favorite part is the fact that her body seems to be in proportion and the Titans tower base.

Here are the official specs:

"Designed by Terry Dodson Sculpted by Jack Mathews The popular WOMEN OF THE DC UNIVERSE line of cold-cast porcelain busts continues with Terry Dodson's Wonder Girl! Seen here standing atop Titans Tower, this fearless teen wonder has Ares' lasso twined at her side. Collect all of the Women of the DCU: Series 2 busts in 2008! Wonder Girl joins Wonder Woman, Starfire, Cheetah, Batwoman and more! This WONDER GIRL BUST measures approximately 5.5" tall x 2.5" wide x 2.5" deep and is packaged in a 4-color box. Advance-solicited; on sale July 2, 2008 o Bust o $55 US "

At $55, I think the price is a bit steep. That definitely makes this a "no" for me.

Let me ask you: would you buy this? What do you think?

5 comments:

Craig said...

I probably wouldn't buy it. It seems like one of the better mini-busts from that line, and it's certainly one of the least cheesecakey. It would be perfect for home or office display. But that surprised look kills me. The sketched face is wonderfully exuberant; what happened in the translation from page to sculpt?

Saranga said...

Hmm. Her face doesn't look very well done. And she's rather twisty. If I hadn't clicked on the big picture link I'd probably have bought it.
Maybe I should get the Black Canary bust instead?

Heidi Meeley said...

Foolio- I feel ya on that. The translation from sketch to mini-bust just didn't quite make it for me. I was happy to see it wasn't too "gratuitous", to steal a line from myself!! :-)

Heidi Meeley said...

Saranga, I would definitely go with the Black Canary one. Though her bustier is a bit low cut, the fact that she is doing her canary cry and that her facial expression translated well works better than it did here.

Great observation!

Unknown said...

Overall, I did think this was an excellent bust- although I did at first think that her legs were encased with concrete, and she was surprised to be finding herself sleeping with the fishes. ^_^

Seriously though: I'm not a buyer of statuettes, nor a huge fan of Cassie- but if I were either, I wouldn't be embarassed to have this on my mantlepiece.