Friday, November 30, 2007

Rest In Peace: Evel Knievel

Legendary Daredevil Evel Knievel has passed away, according to reports by the Associated Press. After a long battle with several health problems, including pulmonary fibrosis, an incurable condition that ravaged his lungs, Knievel lost his battle. He was just 69 years old.

Looking at the Sports Illustrated cover from so many years ago, it strikes me that Knievel really was the predecessor to do many folks who participate in extreme sports. He enthralled us all with his lack of fear and his showmanship. He even had his own comic book in 1974, cementing his legend.

While I wouldn't live my life the way Knievel did, I do have to say he did it all on his own terms. What sticks in my mind is when he tried to jump Snake River and had so many of us glued to our television sets. Back in the day, without the benefit of instantaneous internet gratification, Evel was the man that made life interesting. He kept that glamour and glitz up until virtually the end, as I found when I read an article in Maxim magazine that was especially poignant.

I would like to propose a toast to Evel Knievel, who is as you read this, trying to jump several clouds in heaven.

1 comment:

Carl said...

Welp, I loved him as a kid, jumped my bike over stuff, even had the official action figure and bike too. And the comic! I always hoped to meet him and I'll be damned if he didn't live across the bay in St. Pete but had of course, retired and his health was up and down so much. RIP to The Greatest Daredevil of Our Times...