Sunday, November 04, 2007

Random Thoughts and Musings

Here it is, the first day of "falling back" already. I can't believe it is starting to get dark at 4:45 p.m. After being so ill this weekend, I am still a bit disoriented but am finally feeling a bit better. The time change hopefully helped as it allowed me to get an extra hour of sleep. The really bad thing is that I had to miss my nephews' birthday party today in Portland and I am broken hearted about it. The boys are 14 and 11 this past week and they are the most important thing in my life. Unfortunately, I just couldn't make the trip. I couldn't drive four hours feeling like this. Hopefully I can make it up to them in the next two weeks.

While laying on the couch, I attempted to browse my new comics. I read a few, glanced at a few, and randomly decided to save a few until I felt better. After this round of "looks", here is my opinion.

Great:
Justice Society of America #10
Crime Bible: Five Lessons of Blood #1
The Death of the New Gods #2
Countdown to Mystery #2
Daredevil Annual #1
Robin Annual #7

Good:
X-Men Messiah Complex #1
Batman #670
American Virgin #20
Action Comics #858
Lord Havok & the Extremists #1
Dynamo 5 #8

So-So:
Anita Blake The First Death #2
Trials of Shazam #9
Countdown to Adventure #3
52 Aftermath The Four Horsemen #3
DC Infinite Halloween Special #1
Necromancer #1

Dreck:
JSA Classified #31- Really hating the art here.
New X-Men #43- Really hating the art here as well.
Midnighter Armageddon #1- can't figure out the point of this.
Countdown to Final Crisis #26- a recap, plain and simple.

Not much explanation here, and I am sorry for that. I need about one more day of recovery to get myself and the blog back up to speed. All I know is that some books held up well while others pissed me off for lack of story quality. I also noticed that the price is edging up to $3.50 on several books, which means I will have to drop comics for lack of finances sooner then later. Argh.

Have a great rest of the weekend and I will be back tomorrow with the next week of comics!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, here's your opportunity to translate the "Dreck" category into the "Dumped" category.

Come on, Heidi! You can do it! Drop 'em like yesterday's newspaper!

PS: Justice Society #10 was amazing. Yeah, yeah....there's plenty of Kingdom Come haters out there. We get it. You didn't like it. Alex Ross is a hack, blah, blah, blah.

I loved it, and I'm pleased to see Kingdom Come Superman become a sort of ersatz Earth-2 Superman.

Eaglewing said...

Haven't read any of these, but I'd like to get Daredevil Annual and maybe check out Crime Bible.

Prices are moving up, and they're usually even higher in Canada, despite the dollar. If they're not careful, they're going to price themselves out of the market, if they haven't already.

Heidi Meeley said...

Mark, you are right. I need to drop the stuff in the "dreck" category for sure. I haven't filled out Previews for January yet, so I will be tough! :-)

JSA was very good. I was pleasantly surprised as I thought the story had great potential to go south quick. It worked quite well for me. I also dug Action Comics, as I loved Gary Frank's art.

Go Superman!

Heidi Meeley said...

Eaglewing, I think if you have enjoyed Brubaker's work lately, you will really appreciate the Daredevil Annual. It actually touched me emotionally and I wasn't expecting that. Good stuff. Also I liked the grittiness and sinister aspect of Crime Bible. It was a nice change.

As for prices, I really feel for you. They are hiking up sooner than later. Before it's over comics are going to be over $5 a pop!!