Friday, May 09, 2008

Emerald City Comicon: Looking Back Before Going Forward


I got up early this morning and went to the gym and got blood work done, as well as doing some last minute errands for the show. While I was running around town, I reflected on the first five years of the Emerald City Comicon and it truly made me smile. This is a show that has reinvigorated me as a fan in so many ways. I have made friends that will last a lifetime and found a new joy that comes with each new discovery I find at the show.


That being said, I was thinking about the first show. The hubby and I first heard about this new upstart show at a Seattle Comicard Show we were attending. ECCC founder Jim Demonakos approached us with a flier and gave us the skinny. We were immediately intrigued and vowed to attend. A new show that was held at Qwest Field? Lots of guests that weren't usually accesible to us in the Northwest? A fresh approach? Hell yes.


The morning of the first show we got up at 5 a.m. and headed over in my car. In the backseat were our friends Corey, Gavin, and his sister Chelsea. If I remember correctly Gavin hadn't even been to bed the night before! I also recall a palpable feeling of excitement over this new venture. The trip went quickly and we pulled up to the parking lot at Qwest. Wow, a line! We proceeded to commune with our fellow fans and ran inside. What a thrill it was to walk in, knowing that we were on the ground floor of a new sensation. I kid you not, it felt that good.


Jim and I were like kids in a candy store. We ran over to Erik Larson and had an unforgettable conversation about his fellow Image founders. I also got to meet Greg Rucka and Matt Haley, who did an incredible Power Girl sketch for me. We bought lots of comics, got lots of sketches, and soaked in the wonder of it all. I was writing reviews for 4 Color Review (now Kung Fu Rodeo), so I took a tape recorder and did interviews. I also spoke to Demonakos and got the attendance and first response. Every word was positive.


Giddy with excitement, we drove back home that night and I did my review. I wish to hell I could find it, but no such luck. It was a giddy post, as I gushed and cooed over the ECCC being offiicially in existence. I knew that I would be back every year they would hold it, and I have been.


The second year was also a one day show, and we all clamored for a two day event. The third year it happened and we hung our at our friend Ben's booth. We knew we wanted to be a part of it in a larger way! The fourth year I had my own booth. Crazy, odd, but fun- a blogger was an exhibitor. I loved every minute of it. The last two years have been especially magical, with the times I have had with friends, and the sheer atmosphere I have soaked up. Having a booth has enabled me to network and get an insider's perspective that adds a layer of enjoyment for me. This year I will be a bit transient as I wander in and out of my hubby's booth while trying to take it all in.


This year, I am still excited like a kid at Christmas. As we pack our stuff and give our friend instructions about house sitting, I know that I can't wait to get there. I will see old friends and meet new ones. I will be a part of a big show that still manages to feel intimate. It will be fun, and that is what a convention should be.


See you there!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Have fun you two!! Looking forward to the stories after you return.