Thursday, August 04, 2005

Appreciating the Classics- Justice League of America 113


JLA 113
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley.
After posting my five favorite comic books, I received feedback that it was odd that there were no silver or bronze age books featured.

Let me assure you that this is not because of a lack of appreciation for older books; on the contrary, I have deep-seeded memories of the hours of enjoyment I spent perusing each page of each new issue I would get at the grocery store. I still look at those books, many of which I had to replace with less used copies in later years, with a certain fondness.

So why did I not select any of these as my top five? Simply put, I treasure them, but I don't go back and read them frequently. It is partially because I have the stories memorized from so many views, and partially because I have grown up with my comic books, and like to have an exposure to the newer stuff as well.

Pictured here is Justice League of America #113, the very first team book I ever owned. It featured three different tales, beginning with a JLA/JSA crossover that showed readers the fate of Sandy, Sandman's youthful sidekick. Beautifully illustrated by Dick Dillin, I still find the tale compelling. As we have seen in the current JSA title, this particular tale is referred back to in continuity in bringing back the Sand character.

There are also a couple of reprints, and that was my first exposure to the JSA as well. I read this comic book so many times that the cover and the first eight pages came off. My lovely mother, not realizing the poignancy and importance of the tale, threw them in the trash. Needless to say, this is one of the first books I replaced when I had the means.

To honor my favorite old books, I will focus on key titles from my past as time progresses. Let me assure you that these comics mean the world to me, and will always have a place in my memory.

Take care, and have a lovely day!

No comments: