Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Top 5 Favorite Comic Books- Antman's Big Christmas


Antman's Big Christmas
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley.
I know that this may seem like an unlikely choice for a favorite, seeing as it is more obscure, and is also newer then my other picks, but this little gem by Bob Gale and Phil Winslade found it's way in my heart and hasn't left yet.

I actually bought the issue on a lark, because I have always appreciated The Wasp as a character. Seeing her looking old school with Hank Pym on the beautifully rendered cover sold me, but the contents captivated me.

Anyone who has relatives that are rude, crude, and obnoxious during the holiday season will see the joy in Antman's Big Christmas. It is Holiday season, and the Avengers are pouring through the thousands of letters they receive to find someone in need of help. When Captain America presents a letter from a young boy who is desperate for Antman and Wasp to save him from his relatives at Christmas by making an appearance themselves, hilarity ensues. From Hank's ineptness in making a phone call to Jan's jabs about their own families, there are so many laughs, I don't know where to start.

Antman's Big Christmas may be hard to find, but if you get your hands on it, grab it. It breathes life and depth into an age old problem- relatives who don't get a hint. You will laugh along with me, and be pleasantly surprised at the amount of heart and raw emotion that catch you by surprise before it's over.

No comments: