Saturday, December 01, 2007

Random Thoughts and Musings

December 1. Yes, it is already December 1. That means that in 24 day the most obsessed about holiday of the year will be here. In preparation for this, I notice that the general public has thrown all goodwill out the window. It is nice to see that "survival of the fittest" is once again being proven. Unfortunately our natural selection of today is that the most agressive gets to be first in line to get the latest fad or craze. Darwin would probably shake his head in either amusement or horror, or quite possibly a mixture of the two.

I looked at my comic books the last couple of days and what struck me most is that I am having the reaction Marvel quite possibly was hoping for to the "One More Day" story line. It is obvious that Mary Jane and Peter will be no more by the end of this and of course, I am completely pissed, which probably makes Marvel very happy, especially since in my anger I have been spending my money on the book. I do think that I need to put an end to that, so I am going to quit buying Amazing Spider-Man. Problem solved!

Top Cow's First Born was a book I thoroughly enjoyed. I know, I know. I don't really care though. It had pathos, drama, and was predictable as hell, but I am a huge fan of The Darkness and Magdelena, so it worked well for me.

After a few "so so" issues, I was struck by how much emotion I felt reading American Virgin #21. I am sad to see that book ending at the completion of this storyline. Having a modern take on the age old concept of "should I or shouldn't I" has been fascinating to say the least.

On the home front, like a broken record, I am sick again. This time it is the head cold from hell. I give up. My immune system is shot from burning the candle at both ends and there is no end in sight anytime soon so I just have to resign myself to catching anything that anyone else I come in contact has. Even though I work out and try and take care of myself, stress can overrule everything else. This is a hard truth that I am living proof of. At any rate, I will be over it sooner than later and then something else will come along, so I am not even going to bitch about it.

On that note, I am going to go relax, drink some orange juice, and read the newest issue of Oxygen. I hope that all of you are having a safe and happy holiday season so far. Take care, and I will be back tomorrow!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Heidi! I know the Christmas season can be crazy...but I believe it's as crazy as we allow it to be. In other words, we have the power to change our enjoyment of the season. I've recently cut back on alot of the "must do" things and tried to get more stuff done ahead of time (like the annual family Christmas card I draw each year), so the last couple of weeks leading up to Christmas really CAN be relatively peaceful and low on the chaos scale.

I realize you're not feeling well, either...so that probably compounds the negativity. But hey, maybe you and Jim can sit down and figure out stuff you really don't HAVE to do when it comes to Christmas and pare it down to a more manageable experience.

Swinebread said...

One more day is Joe Quesada's wet dream. Spidey makes a deal with the Devil? bah garbage.

Get well Soon

How about some emergen c

The Wandering Eye said...

I haven't even started on one more day yet.
Is it bad in a good way or bad in a bad way?

Heidi Meeley said...

Mark, thank you so much! I am feeling about the same today, but am pretty relieved because I got all of the presents wrapped for Jim's family. That way we can send them out this week and know that they will be there in time, and in fact early. I also am almost done shopping for my family. I just have to do cards, which is scary for me. I usually am pretty creative, but not so far this year.

I bet your card is very cool BTW. :-) It sounds like you have prioritized what you need to do so that it is manageable. Very good!

Jim and I are trying to figure out how to do it all, so I am crossing my fingers we figure it out.

Heidi Meeley said...

Swinebread, it definitely is. You have that right. I hope he lives happily ever after with it. :-)

Emergen C? I will go get some- I need all the help I can get!

Heidi Meeley said...

The Wandering eye: I just think it is bad in a bad way. :-( Sorry to be such a downer.

Lisa said...

I haven't been reading the OMD story, but I did page through this last issue. What got me mad was that there were only 22 pages of new story and the rest was all reprints. It seemed like a gimic to get $3.99 out of people.

You illness might be because of the gym. When I used to work out in a public gym I was always getting sick. Germs are crawling all over those places! That is not to say you should not work out - you just have to really really watch what you touch.

Hope you feel better soon!