Sunday, October 23, 2005

Seattle Comicard Show is a Wonderful Experience!

This Fall's Seattle Comicard Show was held today in the Emerald City. It was an intimate event that went over well as a buying show. The retailers that were involved reported serious purchasing, and an attention to shopping. Top this off with Mercury Studios and other great artists in the house, and the Seattle Show was a good time had by all.

Jim and I were in line by 9 a.m., so consequently we were at the front. We had a great conversation with a couple of other people in line while waiting for 10 a.m. to come around. There was no pushing or rushing in at the door, so the day was off to a pleasant start.

We wandered over to the creator's area right off the bat to get comics signed and possible sketched. We hit up Matthew Clark first, and Jim bought a page of his Adventures of Superman art. Matt is a nice guy, and was willing to chat with us for a few minutes. He is presently drawing Outsiders, and his tenure has been extended to a year and a half. He just finished issue 31 in two and a half weeks, and is jumping into character designs for the "Jump ahead" period of the title during Infinite Crisis. We are really excited for Matt and wish him all the success in the world.

Next stop was Matt's partners in Mercury Studios Paul Guinan and David Hahn. What nice guys! I bought a trade paperback from Paul that I will hopefully review soon. It is called "Heartbreakers Meet Boilerplate" and was written by his wife Anina Bennett. Paul drew a sketch for Jim that I am sure he will be posting over at his site soon.

Lucky for me, David Hahn did a sketch of Mera for me. I will hopefully post it later this week. I also bought a trade paperback entitled "Private Beach" that I hope to review here as well. Many thanks to both David and Paul for their great kindness.

We had quite the shopping day. I bought several old school Detective Comics, and a few others. I will run through that list this week. I didn't spend all my money, but I was able to find some wonderful deals at our friends Randy and John's table. Talk about nice guys- Randy and John are the best.

I wasn't feeling great- the old fibroids were acting up, and Randy let me sit in a chair in his booth. A really big thanks to him for that. I can't express how much that helped me, as I was really hurting.

Jim and I ran into Jim Demonakos, Image's marketing guy, and one of the organizers of the Emerald City Comicon. He has a great sense of humor, and works his ass off. He is pictured at right talking to David Hahn.

Okay, I think I am done name dropping now. I hate myself for that, but the damage is done. As long as I am being a total blow hard, let me say how much Jim and I like Randy Emberlin. He and his wife are the nicest people around, and he always treats Jim and I with great kindness. If you get a chance, check out his work on the new Mr. T. mini series. His website is Randyemberlin.com.

Jim and I hope to have exciting news for you in the near future. We are making plans to have a fantastic 2006, and have made a big play for April to have a bit of a coming out party. More details to come.

Thank you to Steve Miner and all the wonderful people who make the Seattle Comicard Show such a fun experience for Jim and I every time. We appreciated it and look forward to it.

No comments: