After many years of adoring the Green Arrow and Black Canary relationship, a thought struck my like lightning. As much as I enjoy the sentimental glow I feel when picturing old comic book issues, their time as a couple is done.
Now I know I will probably be proven wrong this coming year with rumors swirling about a Ollie and Dinah union (as told by the mad genius Rich Johnston over at Lying in the Gutters at Comic Book Resources). I just can't help feeling like I do.
After collecting Justice League of America and Green Lantern/Green Arrow, I knew that GA and the Canary were my favorite couple. It solidified during the first part of Mike Grell's run on Green Arrow, but everything fell to crap by the end when Ollie could not be faithful.
In more current times, Kevin Smith put Dinah and Ollie back together after his return from the dead. Unfortunately, this didn't last long, and the two are swinging singles yet again.
What set this feeling at the forefront of my mind was Scipio's post at The Absorbascon. He made a post about wanting Dinah to date Doctor Midnite again, and I heartily agree. In honor of this thought, I would like to present to you my list of reasons why Ollie and Dinah shouldn't be together anymore.
1. Ollie can't keep it in his pants. This is the obvious one. We all watched him hurt Dinah time after time, and as much as I appreciate Ollie's charm, enough is enough.
2. Dinah has pretty much adopted a daughter, so she needs stability. With Ollie being mayor now and his continuing attentions being divided between politics and his bonds with Connor and Mia, he wouldn't be able to devote the time to helping Dinah raise a young one.
3. Ollie is hanging out with Hal Jordan again. I think that these two swinging singles should go out and tomcat, leaving Dinah free to date other guys. There's nothing I would like to see more then Hal and Oliver getting shot down for being old farts at some hot club. Heh.
4. Doctor Midnite is not only hot; he is sensitive as well. He really fell for Dinah and treated her well. Though he is a busy member of the JSA, I think he would be more emotionally available.
5. Ollie has unfinished business with Shado. In my opinion, the mother of his young son is unfinished business. Shado and Ollie need to meet again and have a dangerous affair. Since she is being seen in Connor's mini-series it could be seen as a logical progression.
6. Oh yeah, the cheating again.
I would love to see Dinah date Doctor Midnite again, or find someone new. Let Ollie sow his wild oats and leave Dinah be. I have wonderful memories of their past relationship and can happily revisit my favorite moments as long as I want to. They don't need to come back together and make a radical Marvel-esque character change. Let them be.
What do you think?
BTW, I want to give a shout out to Bob McLeod for the gorgeous art.