Tuesday, August 19, 2008

100 Bullets #94- A Reason to Keep Reading Comics


I just got home and my DCBS order was waiting for me. Jim had pulled out the pile of books, and I immediately ran to my stack and pulled out 100 Bullets. I sank down on the couch and read issue #94.

All I can say is "wow".


The series is set to end with issue 100, so the writer Brian Azzarello and artist Eduardo Risso have started to reveal bits and pieces. There is a meet up with three old dogs and Lono finally meets Dizzy. The pacing and dialogue work well here, as old scores are settled and the readers learn why an unpredictable force of nature can wreak so much havoc.


My only hope at the end of the series is that Dizzy walks away alive. I know there have been whispers that pretty much the entire cast of characters bite it, but I really want her to live. She has become very real to me, and I have a great respect for her. It is a bit of a stretch to hope she walks away from things in one piece, but I am crossing my fingers anyway.


100 Bullets has it all. There is a great story being told very well. Azzarello and Risso have created a masterpiece of art and fiction that will last well past the series' end. In my eyes, it is a series that will be held up next to Preacher, the Invisibles, and Sandman. Every page amazes me.


Tonight I am a happy girl. 100 Bullets came in my DCBS order and it rocked my world.

3 comments:

Nick said...

I have always thought about picking up 100 Bullets, once I get through DMZ it'll be next on my trade list

Heidi Meeley said...

Nick, I am so glad to hear that! 100 Bullets kicks ass in a major way! It is the top of my pile each time an issue comes in, so I can't recommend it enough.

How is DMZ? I haven't picked that up yet.

Nick said...

DMZ is pretty good, first trade really drew me in. It has a Warren Ellis feel to it but Brian Wood writes it somehow more realistically, if that makes any sense, art style matches the tone the story sets perfectly.