Thursday, August 07, 2008

Quick Take: Justice Society of America Annual #1


As you may know, I am a long time uber-fan of the Earth Two characters in the DC Universe. I collected the run of All Star Comics that was published around 1976 and I followed All Star Squadron and Infinity Inc. as well as reading every issue of Justice League of America. I loved the Earth One/Two crossovers, and fell in love with the old guard. I have a special fondness for Power Girl and Huntress especially, and have continued to miss their relationship to this day.


That is why I knew before reading Justice Society of America Annual #1 that I was sure to experience disappointment. I had set the bar too high. The Alex Ross cover filled my heart with such joy that I knew there was heartache to follow.

I was right.


WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!




It took me three reads to get past the gorgeous Jerry Ordway art and really feel the story. What it came down to was that this was NOT the Earth Two Kara left behind. This earth has an uneasy feel to it, as I am sure writer Geoff Johns wanted to convey. The characters that Kara interacts with just don't feel right. Helena is jumpy and Dick is awkward. The rest of the Justice Society Infinity feels wooden, like statues that have been animated. It is painfully obvious that there is something terribly wrong. Gog has given Kara something he thought she needed when all that will happen is that her heart will be shattered once again. If you think Power Girl was a bit cynical and edgy before, wait until this whole thing goes to hell in a handbasket!


Reading this book almost hurt. I have such an affection for these characters that the sense of foreboding I felt made me ache. The multiverses are back with a vengeance, and this current story arc is sure to lead to emotional and physical devastation for the JSA.


Johns and Ordway did their work well. They made me react to the story and care about what happens. I will be reading the ongoing saga here with my hands in front of my eyes, peaking at the pages when I can stand to. God help me.


What did you think?

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Rumor has it that it is Earth 2, but a little different Earth 2. From what I understand Johns is bringing back someone that is "super".

Michael Bailey said...

This story was a lot like getting together with an old flame after the person they left you for left them or died; sure you kind of getting what you want but it isn't the same.

Saranga said...

You convinced me to buy JSA 16, the annual and 17! Am liking it so far. Bring on the religion story.

Heidi Meeley said...

Lisa, that is very interesting! I am really torn between curious and crushed here, so it should be a heck of a ride.

Thank you for the tip. Miss you around these parts!

Heidi Meeley said...

Michael, that is a perfect way to put it. It is like a reunion after a horrific event. We are all changed, and sometimes we don't like what we see. You nailed it!

Thank you for that!

Heidi Meeley said...

Saranga, that is so cool! I am thrilled to hear that! I am glad you liked it, especially with the religion/surreal angle. Could we imagine that happening here? Hmmm..

I stopped by your blog but didn't comment- I hope things are okay!

Saranga said...

Hi Heidi.
Thanks for stopping but and no worries, there's no need to leave a comment if you don't want to!