Sunday, August 10, 2008

Losing The Laughter: RIP Isaac Hayes and Bernie Mac


What a sad last couple of days it has been for the entertainment community. Entertainer Bernie Mac passed away from complications from pneumonia and Isaac Hayes was found dead in his home in Memphis, apparently from natural causes. Mac was just 50 and Hayes was 65. What a loss!


Mac was a great comic and a good actor. I especially enjoyed him in Bad Santa, Friday, and House Party 3, as well as his own television series. To lose an actor who had so many great roles left to play is just horrible.


Hayes was most memorable to me as Chef on South Park and as the bad ass who sang the Shaft theme song. I loved the fact that Hayes seemed to be able to laugh at himself and was really sad when he left South Park over differences of opinion with creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker. In my mind, Hayes was one of the best reasons to watch the show.


On that sad note, I am praying that the families of both these men are okay. What a sad day.

4 comments:

Swinebread said...

This was sure sad and sudden!

Carl said...

Hayes to me was always the Duke of New York from "Escape From New York". He was A-Number-1 in my book...

Heidi Meeley said...

Swinebread, I am still a bit in denial I think. This was just awful! The new Entertainment Weekly has nice tributes, and that helps a bit. My sole source of sanity for entertainment news other then Empire is EW!

Heidi Meeley said...

Carl, that is right! He rocked that role! Jim loves that flick as well, and agrees! Hayes was one cool dude.