Wednesday, March 28, 2007

First Impressions: Wonder Woman in Comics This Week

It was a nice double dose of Wonder Woman this week, as she made appearances in 52 and her own title. It is about damn time.

In 52, Diana didn't show up in the way I thought she might, but it was certainly good to see her there and to get a glimpse of what her pre- "One Year Later" mindset. I don't want to spoil it, but it seemed to be a very Wonder Woman-free weekly until now.

After issue #6 of Wonder Woman, I am cautiously optimistic. My biggest complaint is that the Heinberg story didn't finish properly so there may be a tad bit of confusion. I do really like the fact that Diana seems to have a sense of humor now. My sense from a first read through: I am pleased and hoping for greatness. Jodi Picoult shows a definite agenda and that is fine with me. Having Drew Johnson and Ray Snyder back for an encore is icing on the cake.

I am a happy girl with a double dose of Wonder Woman this week. Now if they can just keep the schedule up and get some momentum going, life will be good.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

This arc is supposed to lead right into Countdown, and I think the Amazon mini too. I am so ready to have a sold, regular Wonder Woman comic on the shelves! Maybe the sales numbers will go back up instead of going down with each issue.

ShellyS said...

Yes, this arc leads into Amazons Attack. I'm not sure how much it has to do with Countdown directly.

At any rate, I was disappointed, as I said in my review. I'd like to see the Wonder Woman who keeps appearing in other books. She's not so Wonder-ful in her own, but just getting the book back on a schedule is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

"I don't want to spoil it, but it seemed to be a very Wonder Woman-free weekly until now."

Well, since pretty much the beginning, 52 has been touted as a "Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman-Free Experience", as all three indulge themselves with a year of self-discovery and inner-child coddling (Yes, you can probably tell what my opinion on the "Big Three Sabbatical").

And was it just me, or did Bruce's emergence from the cave seem just a little "Easter Morning-esque" to anyone else? (complete with a rolled-away stone)

Puh-leeeez.

Heidi Meeley said...

Lisa & Shelly- I am really excited for Amazons Attack. The fact that this mini-series was part of the reason that the WW title got back on track is a small but crucial part of it! I am hoping that a regular shipping schedule will help.

Shelly, sorry to hear you weren't excited about this issue of the book. I liked it and am thrilled to have the book in my hands... I don't know how much of that means anything!

At any rate, she's back and hopefully in my pull file on a monthly basis!

Heidi Meeley said...

Mark, that last page was definitely a bit of a bible shout out. I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't the lord. :-)