Sunday, March 18, 2007

Quick Take Reviews for March 18


Stormwatch PHD 5
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley.
Wonder Woman #5: My only question after reading this issue is this: Why didn’t DC just have Will Pfeifer write the relaunch? It would have saved a great deal of headaches and I would have had a great story to read. Seriously.

Pfeifer and the team of artists on the book did a nice job of leading into the next storyline. God knows it is a task I wouldn’t have wished on my worst enemy, but they really brought it. I also kept wondering to myself where DC had been hiding Geraldo Borjes and Jean Diaz. Their art on the book was spare but satisfying.

Next time DC thinks about hiring some “hot shot” bigwig, they need to stop for a moment and read this issue. A committed team of professionals put together a vital book for a series when the initial writer failed miserably. The premise here was so simple, but so meaningful. It is the kind of story I didn’t realize I was craving. Wonder Woman was back in her element, fighting for the helpless and giving them a second chance at a strength they didn’t know existed.

The only downside is that I have no idea how the last story arc ended. Fortunately, after reading this issue, I really don’t care. Let’s have Pfeifer come back on the book after Jodi Picoult finishes her run. Between his fine work on Catwoman and his excellent story here, I am a believer. Grade: A.

Fables #58: I loved this issue! I have wanted to know more about Bigby Wolf and his back story, and this issue gave me a chance to put some pieces together. It also gave a great look at Snow White and Bigby’s cubs. The art by Mike Allred meshed well with Bill Willingham’s storytelling. I would love to see the two pair up on a mini-series of some kind that would tell more Fables tales. This is a wonderful book that continues to please. Grade: A.

Stormwatch PHD #5: The back-story of how the original team came back to life. I was prepared to be annoyed, but the story really worked. It also added a layer to mystery to the new tale being told. I was thrown off a bit by a guest artist, but Matthew Smith did admirably. Christos Gage and series regular Doug Mahnke have a magic that really works for me, so I am interested to see that team back together next issue. Stormwatch PHD is THE Wildstorm book to read for me, and it continues to suck me in with great story telling. Grade: B.

New X-Men #36: Along with X-Factor, this book is the best of the X-titles out there today. It has been compelling to read a book that doesn’t appear to have a net. No character is safe, as the last year has shown. These young mutants live in the moment, with no real guarantee of a long life. The result is recklessness and a bravery that is breath taking to behold. I can’t wait to see what happens next issue, as the creative team is sure to up the ante. This book is genius. Grade: A-.

Lone Ranger #5: Another book I love. Crafted with care by Bret Matthews, Sergio Cariello, and Dean White, Lone Ranger is as gorgeous to read as it is to look at. The color palette is devastating in its appeal, and the danger of the story being told is credible. I have especially enjoyed the portrayal of Tonto as the fearless man who leads rather then blindly follows. This book is the Western I have always wanted to read in comic book form. It is my favorite Dynamite Entertainment book, and that is saying a lot. If you haven’t had a chance to check out Lone Ranger, please do. It has my highest recommendation. Grade: A.

6 comments:

ShellyS said...

I completely agree about Lone Ranger. It's a real gem.

As for WW and Pfeifer, I think he's the best male writer writing female characters for DC these days. The man gets it.

Carl said...

I love the return of The Lone Ranger to death. You have to remember Heidi, the radio show and the books gave Tonto equal time and status, it was (sadly) the TV execs that dumbed him down. I love the original Lone Ranger TV shows too, but the idea of an equal Indian partner was a bit too radical (the show ran from 1949 to 1957!) for that era. My only complaint I guess I could air about the series is that it's taking a while to get there, butttttt, with a retelling/reboot, I guess you have to crawl before you can fly.
The only other comic I got this week was Buffy: TVS- The Long Way Home (aka "Season 8"). Simply maginificent. Of course it helps if the creator is writing. Loved it and can't wait for the 2nd issue...

Michael Bailey said...

Read WONDER WOMAN #5 this morning.

Loved it. Agree totally that Will should have taken over the character to begin with.

Still not sold on Diana Prince, government agent though.

Heidi Meeley said...

Shelly, I loved your "5 reasons to blog" post and I hadn't made it over to comment yet, so I wanted to mention it.

Lone Ranger is a fantastic book! I just drool everytime it comes out. You have great taste!

I agree about Pfeifer. I wish he would take over WW when Picoult is done. Maybe?? We can hope. His Catwoman is excellent.

Heidi Meeley said...

Carl, I was only exposed to Tonto through TV and I hated the way he was portrayed. It is nice to see him as a strong character here. I really love the book. You also have great taste!

I am that odd person who never got into Buffy. I only saw the movie, so I am lost in that world. Yikes!

Heidi Meeley said...

Michael, I thought WW #5 was great. It really made up for how mad I have been about the book's lateness in a way. I wish so much that Pfeifer would take over next.

The government agent thing it something I am wondering about as well. I was thinking that maybe that loose end was supposed to get tied up in the original WW #5 and Heinberg dropped the ball??... Not sure, but I was wondering about that.

Thank you for your comment- you also have excellent taste!