Monday, March 12, 2007

New Comics for March 14


Tales of the Unexpected 6
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley.
What a day! It was busy at work and we had people out sick again. The good news is the day went fast. The bad news is I didn't get all the work done I wanted to. Oh well, there is always tomorrow.

I am running late tonight because I wanted to watch Van Halen get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was a bit odd because Eddie Van Halen was in rehab so he wasn't there. It was also strange because neither Alex Van Halen or David Lee Roth showed up. That left poor Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar to pick up the award. I was happy to see them, but it seemed like a piece of the group was missing. Velvet Revolver performed "Ain't Talking About Love" and Slash's guitar work was excellent. Then Sammy, Michael, and Paul Schaeffer's band did "Why Can't This Be Love" which was also good. What was missing was Eddie's legendary riffs, Alex's incredible drumming, and David Lee's showmanship.

I am happy to see Van Halen inducted though. For their contributions to music, they are most definitely worthy. I am crossing my fingers that Eddie gets better at rehab and that he can rediscover the joy of the music he created.

Back on subject, it is a light week for me so I am really happy. I am still trying to drop more titles, so we shall see how I am doing. Here is the list:

52 Week 45
Fables #58
Green Arrow #72
Stormwatch PHD #5
Tales of the Unexpected #6 (of 8) - pictured
Teen Titans #44
Wonder Woman #5- in which Will Pfeifer is given the unenviable task of connecting the disjointed uncompleted first story line to Jodi Picoult's upcoming run. Yikes.
New Avengers #28
New X-Men #36
Thunderbolts #112
Wolverine Origins #12
Lone Ranger #5

Drops
Gen 13 #6- under duress

Older drops
JLA Classified #36
Martian Manhunter #8 (of 8) - not missing this at all
Robin #160
Superman #660
Irredeemable Ant-Man #6- no remorse
Punisher War Journal #6- still a bit sad about this one

That is the scoop for the evening. I am pretty excited because I finally made the 20 pound goal on my weight loss. I have ten more to go before April 4, so that should be a challenge. There are three and a half more weeks left and my teammate and I are lifting weights like crazy while upping our cardio. My shoulders are so sore tonight that lifting the frying pan is a bit of an effort. Nice.

Have a wonderful week!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on reaching your weight goal! However, be careful on that ten pounds in three weeks. That's pretty aggressive....I'd hate to see you hurt yourself.

Glad to hear Van Halen made it in, but I agree it sounded a bit pathetic not to have the "big guns" there to accept it.

As for comics...that list is a light week for you? Wow...I guess I have cut back the last few years...since a heavy week for me is...at most...five comics. Thanks for the "heads up" on the Lone Ranger as well. That one can kind of slip past if I'm not paying attention.

Eaglewing said...

Hi there. Been enjoying your blog for a while now. Your comments on comics are fun to read. I can't afford the weekly pull lists, but I keep track of the comics goings on via the 'net and pick up trades when I can.

Seeing as you're collecting Wolverine Origins, what are your thoughts on it? Haven't heard a lot positive on it - seems to be going nowhere fast? Was thinking of getting the TPB, but saw it on your list and thought I'd ask.

Great blog, keep up the writing.

Nick said...

Your not picking up the Buffy comic coming out from Dark Horse this week!?

Shocked I am, shocked.

Carl said...

I am glad you are doing so well, James has his own personal Wonder Woman. I got goals as well, 10 before the end of April, ultimately, 50 lbs. Doctor's orders. Long story.
Anyway, I might be sucked back in to Marvel (just as I was almost out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!). I told Scott, the only way I would come back was if The Punisher became The New Captain America. Sheesh, is there a hidden mic at my shop? Scott sent me a picture from PWJ #7 with The Punisher as the New Cap. I don't know what title he will go by, but my first thought was Captain Vengeance or Captain Avenger. Have to see I reckon.
Hmmmm, I used to love Van Halen but they quietly disappeared from my playing list like a lot of '70s and '80s bands I have been rediscovering. How sad what time and self-destruction has done to them. Seems like a million years ago that was great 'make-out' music in the background. Alas...

Heidi Meeley said...

Mark, thank you for the congrats. I really appreciate it! I know that my goal is a bit lofty, so I am trying to not set myself up for disapointment. At the beginning of the 12 week contest, each of my team members made goals, and mine was 30. I feel great about my solid 20, but don't want to let the team down. We have stepped up the cardio and weight lifting and cut some more calories for the duration. I am also concerned because the Emerald City Comicon is the weekend before the weigh out and I really want to drink a few beers. Choices... :-)

Van Halen entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame quietly, which was not at all what I expected. I am going to watch the repeat of it Saturday night and see how it feels then.

Unfortunately, this is a light week for me. What that means is that I haven't cut back nearly enough. Through encouragement like yours and my other friends here, I have been able to cut back from MONSTROUS quantities to this. Now I just have to get it pared down a bit more.

Yay! Lone Ranger did come in today! What a great book! You have excellent taste, Sir!

Heidi Meeley said...

Eaglewing, I stopped by your site for a bit- very cool! I am hoping to bookmark it this weekend. I really like your take on movies.

Thank you for de-lurking and saying "hi". It is wonderful that you stop by!

Wolverine Origins is pretty interesting. It is so low profile compared to his main title, that it has kind of gotten lost in the shuffle. I LOVE Steve Dillon's art, and I have been a fan of Daniel Way's writing, so the book works well for me. The two mesh together wonderfully as a creative team, and the storylines have went places I haven't expected. Personally, I really enjoy the book. If you try it you will have to let me know what you think. It is underrated in my eyes.

Thank you again for the kind words!

Heidi Meeley said...

Nick, I am one of those weird people who has only seen the Buffy movie with Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry. I have never watched a single episode of Buffy. Does that make me a social pyranha in the comic book fan world? Probably. :-)

One of these years I would like to see what the hype is all about, but I haven't had the chance yet!

Heidi Meeley said...

Carl, you have my full moral support for working out/dieting. I am praying that you are okay, and that it is something that can be worked out with some weight loss. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Marvel is sucking you back in? It is okay, Carl. They sucked me in with Fantastic Four. I am a bit ashamed about it, but I figured I might as well admit it. I am sticking to my guns pretty well for the most part, but there are still a few books I really like.

Oh yes, Van Halen as makeout music. I remember being in Junior High and hearing "Jamie's Cryin" over and over at the school dances. People slow danced to it. Odd. Memories!!

Take care, Carl!

Eaglewing said...

Thanks for the Origins info. I didn't realize Steve Dillon was doing the art (D'oh!). I'm just starting in on the Preacher novels, and love his art there. For some reason, I mistakenly had whoever's doing the other Wolverine images in my head for this (3 foot necks look odd, imho :), but if Dillon's on this, I'll check out the trade. Maybe I can squeeze it in on my next Amazon order after I save up my pennies - getting all the Preacher books cleaned out my comics budget for a little while, but I'll let you know what I think when I've read it...

And you're certainly welcome by the Eagle's Roost anytime :)

Chris Arndt said...

I believe that... Alice Cooper should be in the hall of fame.

so there.

As for the Spectre... is he interesting and good again and written correctly yet?