Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Catching Up

Hey Gang.. umm, if anyone still actually comes here...

I love my blog. You wouldn't know it recently, but I really do. It has been a wonderful tool for me to communicate with, and to share my love of the comic book medium. I have made the best friends on earth here, and I really miss it. I would really like to get back to normal again soon.

The only problem is that life has been hectic.

I haven't said a bunch, mostly because I love my job and don't want to misconstrue talk of it as negative in any way, but I have been very busy there. It has been exciting and fascinating to work for another company after being at my old one for almost twenty years. I feel like a butterfly coming out of my coccoon. I have enjoyed the challenge of learning a new computer system and figuring out the way to do things there. It has been a lot of hours, primarily because I am a bit of a workaholic, and secondarily because I hate not knowing how to do something correctly. I want to learn fast, so that has taken a great deal of time.

Also, as you know, I also cut WAY back on my comic book purchases. I only receive a DCBS order once a month, so I am really out of the loop. The lack of comic books also made me cut back on my blog reading, lest I find spoilers. I went from over 100 titles a month to 6. It is MAJOR culture shock. I still don't like it but it is a fact of life. It also means I have a lot less to talk about because I don't have the knowledge of the books in a timely manner, or follow the books at all.

Finally but most importantly in my life, my beloved grandpa's health deteriorated and he passed away recently. I have a story that I would like to make as a separate blog entry, because I found out as I was walking into ECCC. My grandpa and grandma have always been close to me, and I miss my grandpa very much. Luckily for me, my grandma is still alive, though deeply mourning her husband. She and Grandpa were married almost 65 years. I want to be there for her as much as I can, even though distance separates us.

There is so much I want to say, but I just can't find the time. I refuse to close my blog, or retire it. I feel like things are going to normalize eventually, and I feel that I will revive my comic book roots sooner than later. It just hasn't been something I have been able to do in the past six months especially.

I miss talking about "is this gratuitous". I miss the excitement of the weekly Diamond list, knowing that I would have good stuff on the list each week. I miss reading all my favorite blogs and sites and keeping up on comic book news. Most of all, I miss the people that I used to interact with in the comics.

I vow to make a triumphant return..... :-)

8 comments:

Nick said...

Sorry to hear about your grandfather *hugs*

Youse still try to blog, that's more then some, so don't get down on yourself for not updating like a madwoman. If you didn't have a 9 to 5 I could maybe give you crap, :P, but your like the rest of us, your working your butt off.

Also...nobody is gonna fault you for not keeping up with every little thing in DC or Marvel. Least you got dough to read 6 titles, I am only able to keep reading Walking Dead which comes out once every two or three months, lol.

I am curious about one thing though...you still working out at a gym or what?

Saranga said...

I still read this! Like you, I've been very busy lately which is my reason for not leaving comments.

You could still do a gratitous post with the covers taken from a website, whether you read the book or not. Invite your blog readers to comment on it in reference to the content.

Sorry to hear about your grandpa :(

Heidi Meeley said...

Nick, thank you! You are sweet. :-)

I have been trying to figure out what to do since the new comics are low to none, so I think I will have to focus on books I own. You have cut way back too!! Good Grief!

I haven't hit the gym nearly enough. It is one of my goals! What about you?

Heidi Meeley said...

Saranga, that is a good idea actually- I can still do the "gratuitous" thing without spending a ton of money. That is a good idea!

Thank you so much for your well wishes also!

Nick said...

Gym membership was the first casualty of the economy for me

To make up for it I have been walking during the day for about 40 minutes everyday, I try to get my Dad out there with me and it's not too bad, usually we'll walk over 40 minutes and not realize it.

Nights I have also started walking for an hour or two around my town's well-lite shopping center. You'd be surprised how safe and relaxing a night walk/jog/run is in the right area.

Brainfreeze said...

Hey, I'm just happy to see you whenever you feel like posting. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather--even when it's expected it's always a shock.

George S. said...

Read about your loss, and I give my heartfelt condolences to you and your family. I dread the day I would have to face something like what you've been through, but what you just said just might help me make it through. :)

As for your blog, I'll still be reading even if you ain't posting. I don't get to post a lot these days either, and money's tight as well, so don't think you're the only one. :) As long as you get to post anything about comics, even if it's just about staples, I'll be reading.

Tegan said...

*hugs*

I still read your blog. RSS feeds mean I won't miss a thing. Hang in there!