Thursday, May 18, 2006

Still Waiting for Greatness... But Getting Better: 52 Week 2


52 week 2
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley.
Well, I just got done taking a gander at 52 Week 2. Each character is starting to get some plot lines going, which is going to up the momentum of the book. I am still a bit underwhelmed, but hope that once we get a few more weeks into it that it will get to be a nail biter.

The ultimate challenge DC has in 52 is that we already know where several characters have ended up, and we are following them "One Year Later". Making the time in between Infinite Crisis and that period is going to be tough for sure. That is probably why the focus is on more minor characters who don't have a solo book spotlight. This enables the creators to "play" and make mysteries out of storylines that may otherwise have been resolved.

I am extremely interested in the Ralph Digby and Renee Montoya storylines, and have pinned a lot of interest there. Hopefully one of the other characters will step up and surprise me, which would be a bonus.

The most jarring thing thus far for me is Booster Gold's robotic friend Skeets. He reminds me of Jar Jar Binks, and not in a good way. Here's hoping that it is short lived.

52 shows promise. It will take a bit to build momentum, and I have patience for that, as I have already pre-ordered it for three months at my local comic shop. I just hope it makes a splash, and really entertains us before it is all said and done.

4 comments:

Carl said...

SKEETS IS LIKE JAR JAR BINKS?!! Skeets is nothing like him. He can actually be read clearly (as opposed to JJB's "pigdin English") and he's an '80s classic DC support character. I actually was very sad when the original was destroyed in the Giffen JLA Era. Did you see the JLI episode "The Greatest Story Never Told"? You could never see him as anything near that assine Lucas character that no one over the age of 6 could stomach. The voice was done by Billy West and in both comic and JLI is the conscience of the vainglorious Booster Gold. He's the L-Ron to (not-evil-at-that-time) Maxwell Lord. We disagree on this 100 percent...

Heidi Meeley said...

It is okay to disagree sometimes... even though I don't really like to!

I just really hated the interaction with Skeets and Booster. I may change my opinion down the road, but for now, it just didn't work for me.

When was the JLI episode?? Where can I find it?

Carl said...

Welp, I might have come on a bit strong. I hate Jar Jar Binks beyond reason. I remember after seeing The Fathead Menace the 3rd and last time, being in a Toys'R'Us and a stuffed figure of it was on the floor. I looked around and then wound up kick and sent it out of sight! I mean, like a 50 yard kick. Anyway, if you hadn't read the original JLAs, you don't know his character, he's kind of KITT to Michael Knight of Knight Rider. Annoying, but the one with the brains.
Ummmm, I don't imagine that episode is available yet, the DVDs for the JLA/U are only up to season 2. I did dl a copy off the net, if you have a P2P thingie, you can get it. If not, I could burn a copy and send it to you? Let me know...

Heidi Meeley said...

Carl, it is totally cool.

I re-read 52 Week 2 again, and wasn't nearly as irritated. Maybe I overreacted as well!!

As for the episode, I will look around a bit for it, and if I can't find it, I might take you up on your offer.

Thank you!