Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Yippee! Dynamite Entertainment Picks Up The Boys

Over at Newsarama there is an article that absolutely makes my day. It is as follows:

"Newsarama has learned that Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson's The Boys will return to print shortly, this time, under the Dynamite Entertainment banner.

According to sources, Ennis and Robertson were contacted by many publishers when the
news broke that their creator-owned series would no longer be published by Wildstorm, and at the end of the day, the best deal was struck with Dynamite. DC Comics, of which Wildstorm is an imprint, has apparently released the property to the creators, which will allow them to take it to the new home. Finally, Robertson, while exclusive to DC Comics, has already said that his contract allows him to pursue creator-owned work, which will include The Boys at its new home.

When reached for comment, Dynamite's Nick Barrucci told Newsarama:

"The Boys are at Dynamite. We are putting together our plans, and will give more information as soon as possible. In addition to Garth and Darick, I would like to thank DC Comics and everyone at Wildstorm Comics who helped to make the transition a smooth one for Garth and Darick. I also want to thank the fans who so vocally made their support known over the last few weeks and I ask them to stay tuned for news on the continuation. I promise it will be worth the wait, as Garth and Darick continue to deliver their vision of The Boys.


"Judging from the latest sales numbers, after the move and if its DC numbers hold relatively steady, The Boys will be one of Dynamite's best-selling titles, as December's issue #6, Wildstorm's final issue, sold an estimated 27,000 copies, which is in the same ballpark as Dynamite's Red Sonja. Ennis and Robertsoin have said that they plan for the series to run roughly 60 issues - approximately five years.

No word was given on when Dynamite expects to resume publication of the series, or release the first trade paperback, which had already been solicited by Wildstorm. Dynamite did confirm for Newsarama that it will keep the cover price of The Boys at $2.99."

This is excellent news for fans of The Boys. I am thrilled to hear this, as I have been quite impressed with Dynamite Entertainment's overall quality and diversity. The Boys will fit in well there, and I look forward to purchasing the remainder of the run there.

6 comments:

Carl said...

I was at the shop when Scott (my dealer) saw this on Newsarama and told us about it. Everyone was pretty happy, including me, even though I don't get the book. 60 issues?! Sheesh, I never saw that, I can't imagine the ideas or the superheroes 'The Boys' take on lasting that long. Welp, I'm glad it's there instead of IDW or someplace where each issue would probably be $3.99 or worse...

John Holland said...

I am so happy now! That is great news! I didn't know this until I read it here, so thanks!

Lisa said...

I was very happy to hear this too. As long as D.E. doesn't do 4 covers of every issue like they do with Battlestar Galactica. That'd make me crazy! But overall they've been a decent publisher and I hope we'll be seeing the new release schedule soon.

Heidi Meeley said...

Carl, I was happy about the price point as well. I am looking forward to seeing it come out at D.E.

Heidi Meeley said...

John, I thought about you when I saw this. What awesome news!

Heidi Meeley said...

Lisa, I was wondering about the variant cover deal as well. I don't think it needs 4 covers, but God only knows what they will come up with. I will probably try and stay true to Darick Robertson's covers if I have to pick.

That is a very good point!