Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Comic Convention Hook Ups

I know I am behind on this, but I had to make a comment or two after reading the Penthouse article about comic conventions being a hotbed of romantic and sexy hook ups. (The article is NSFW.)

Because I have never attended a comic convention while I was single, I never really thought about hooking up at a show. I was pretty sure it happened, but I never gave it much consideration until now. When combining alcohol, a fun atmosphere, and a kind of vacation all in one, most folks let their guard down. Whether this means a booty call or finding love, it obviously is something that happens.

Another contributing factor that makes hook ups at shows more prevalent is that folks are meeting online first, and that helps with the comfort level. I can just now picture it- talking to someone online and knowing they are going to be at a show, it would raise the ante of a real possibility of finding love, lust, or a bit of both. God knows I have made some of my current best platonic friends through an awareness on the 'net, so why not take it a step further and find love?

As more women continue to attend these shows, both as creators and as fans, there is a more equal ratio of the sexes then there was 10 years ago. Twelve years ago when I attended the Portland Comic Show, I was more of a rarity. Now I am the norm- comic book t-shirt on, looking for a great buy, and holding forth about the latest issue of Incredible Hercules with other true believers. This creates an environment of mutual interest, which can lead to romantic attraction.

The thing that worries me about this article is that non-comic fans will attend shows looking for an easy hook up. The other thing that concerns me is a reemergence of the "Open Source Boob Project". It is one thing to acknowledge that one can meet and love another during a comic book show; it quite another to suggest that comic fans are "easy" and simply looking for love. I still know quite a few folks that are there for the bargains. :-)

It is fascinating to see mainstream culture talk about a subject like this. For so long myself and other women have been talking about equality in comic books, and while the hot flames of disagreement have died down a bit, it is still a hotbed issue that can be quickly stoked into a roaring fire. I am hoping this isn't the case with this, and that the story can be taken for what it is- a pop culture piece in a hardcore men's magazine.

Since I met my husband in a Wonder Woman comic book chat room twelve years ago, the story resonates for me in a personal way. I have also read about a few other folks who have met and found love in a comic book setting. What do you think?

5 comments:

Nick said...

I have been to a couple comic conventions and gaming conventions and I can honestly say, no hookups ever, lol.

Maybe I need to start dressing up like Doctor Who at these things :)

Carl said...

Ummmmm, wellllllllll, I did have one encounter way back in the 80s when I was a single young "babe in the woods" at one of my first conventions. Later of course, I found that the lady in question had had a fight with her current boyfriend and after getting her revenge (I suppose?) at the con, got back together with him. Oh well...

But also this stupid article explains why my idjit friends (I mean that in the kindest possible way) believe at the next cons we go to and stay (rather then the one day cons) they are going to get a booty call in spades. I wondered where this all came from and the new grilling about "con 'hoes" as they labelled them. Sheesh, I swear these guys believe anything as long as it's put out there and supports their idiotic view of women and "scoring"...

Ps. I met my bride at college twice before I began to pay serious attention, the first in our fencing class and the 2nd at a friend's D&D game...

Heidi Meeley said...

Nick- I have to take you with me next time then. LOL!! JK!

Keep walk/running 5Ks and you will be beating all the ladies off with a stick. :-) I am in awe!!

BTW, I did run/walk 5 miles a couple of weeks ago and it damn near killed me. Back to just walking for awhile..

Heidi Meeley said...

Carl, this is why I appreciate you so much! The honesty and integrity you have never cease to amaze me. :-)

I do agree that it is a bit worrisome that folks that have always attended shows to actually meet creators and buy comics might start to get wacky ideas though...

admin said...

I can not stop studying this.It truly is so great, so full of information that i just didn't know.I'm fortunate to view that guests are in reality talking about this downside in this sort of a intelligent technique, displaying us all many different. You're one great blogger. Please keep it up. I can not wait to undergo what’s next.
blemish treatment