Sunday, September 12, 2004

Seattle Comicard Convention Today

Jim and I made the trek from Eastern Washington to Seattle for the Seattle Comicard Show. We came over Saturday afternoon and got a hotel room over by Huskies Stadium. It was a nice change as we were able to get in some down time which included dinner with good friends in Chinatown.

We got over to Seattle Center around 9:30 a.m. and were shocked to be 4th and 5th in line. Normally there are more people there, and as we normally just drive over and back for the day, we don't get in right away. Jim and I were so happy to be there, and were looking forward to seeing what comic treasures we could find, that we really didn't dwell on it.

Some quick highlights: We talked to Bill Schelly, who we had not previously met. I bought several back issues of Alter Ego and got his Comic Fandom book, which I am dying to read. I hope to give you more exact details as the week progresses. What a nice, gracious man.

We were also able to acquire original art from Rick Hoberg, who was as kind as could be. My hubby bought his first cover ever, and I bought a page from Green Arrow #75. Talk about being giddy- you couldn't have pulled us off the ceiling if you tried!

Jim and I were able to go talk and buy great stuff from our favorite retailer John and his partner Randy. This guy is the real thing. He loves comics but also understands the value of a deal. That is solid gold in this day and age.

Quick footnotes: When I have the time to master making links, I am going to add them for the Emerald City Comicon and the Seattle Comicard Show. I can't help but think there are a lot of comic fans out there missing these events, so I would like to get the word out as best as I can.

The Show was short on big names as Steve McNiven was supposed to be there but was supposedly prohibited by Marvel. That didn't stop us from having a wonderful time, and we didn't need a big name today. Rick Hoberg and Bill Schelly made up for it by being professional and friendly. Jim also got a sketch from an up and comer by the name of Greg Scott Bailey.

Overall, the show was less well-attended then hoped, but the retailers we spoke with were relatively happy with their sales. People who were there were buying and making deals. We spent our fair share of cash and went our merry way back to the East side of the mountains as we both have work tomorrow.

It was nice to spend the night and relax a little, which made the trip a mini-vacation of sorts, as well as a fun adventure for Jim and myself.

No comments: