Saturday, February 02, 2008

Random Thoughts and Musings: The "Y" Edition


Y: The Last Man
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley
In very good news, we got our comic books. The first book I read was Y: The Last Man #60 of course. What a fantastic series this has been. Let me try and be spoiler free in talking about it.

I was very happy that the rumored "this whole thing has been a Dallas style dream" was not correct in form or function. That would have been a downer to say the least. The flashbacks and the "full circle" feel of this issue made me feel like I had completed the journey.... but it also left a few windows open for specials and spin-offs. That was a nice touch.

The most surprising thing for me was the Hero-Beth connection. It was a bit unexpected, but it was also a warm fuzzy. Seeing many of the characters and learning their fates really sealed the deal. Now if I can just sit down and read it from start to finish in the next week or so. That will feel like a treat. Thanks to Vaughan, Guerra, Marzan Jr., and the rest for a brilliant ride.

As many of you know, I have been reading Witchblade since issue one. There have been some great stuff and there has been some real crap, but since the First Born storyline, I have felt an injection of sincerity and reality in relation to this series that had not been present before. Sara's newfound motherhood and Danni's growing awareness of herself have made this a book I really enjoy reading. Yes, it surprises me too.

Dude, Bucky's Cap now! Heh. After being completely spoiled by every dang website and newspaper in the country, I took no joy in the recent issue. But whoa, he has a gun, right? Nah. Readers who have been in on this since issue one knew that Bucky was the badass right? I want the old shirt back. Buzzkill.

I was a bit disappointed with the way the limited Black Adam series ended. Tomorrow or the next day I will give it a new read. The issue does dovetail into Countdown, so continuity is fixed for about two minutes.

I got too tired to read the rest of my stack. Working out three to four hours a day exhausts me and I have to go to bed early like the old broad I am. The good news is that I feel strong and aware physically. The bad news is that I don't get my comics read in a very coherent state because I am so tired. Oh well. Only nine more weeks of this and then I will take a week off and change my routine completely. I really want to wear tanks and shorts all summer without any embarrassment.

Tomorrow is the Super Bowl and I have no clear favorite. After the Seahawks got taken out, I felt partial to the Green Bay team, but with their presence not requested, I don't have any real loyalty to either the Giants or the Patriots. That being said, I will focus on hoping to see a good game and check out the new commercials, including the Iron Man trailer. Groovy.

Have a wonderful day! I am off to do my second workout of the day, which includes working my legs until they barely work. Nice.

8 comments:

John Holland said...

I enjoyed the ending to Y also. I think it will read better as one now. I'd love to see an Absolute version of it done.

Eaglewing said...

Had to skip past your Y review as I haven't read the series yet and don't want to know the end yet. Bet it was good tho.

Seems like Marvel is getting pretty good at getting their storylines out to the media before the comic is actually available. Is that a good marketing strategy?

Yay, the Giants won! I don't really follow or care about football much at all, but I'll always cheer for the underdog. Watched the Iron Man TV spot on Apple's site, and it looks great. Stoked to see this one now. Should be a very good comic movie year.

Nick said...

I miss Y already, I put it off for as long as I could....it was good...ditto on the whole Beth/Hero thing...Yoricks' first love hooks up with his sister...didn't see THAT ONE coming.

Glad to hear Witchblade has gotten better, I sorta quite after Danni got the Witchblade...for some reason I just couldn't get into it as much.

Heidi Meeley said...

John, you have a great idea! That would make a wonderful Absolute book! Sorry to hear you have to work tomorrow, my friend. Hopefully it isn't too hectic.

Heidi Meeley said...

Eaglewing, good man. I tried not to spoil, but it is dang near impossible!

Marvel irritated me with that media blitz, but I am sure it is good for the industry, or at least for speculators. For diehard fans, I vote that it doesn't enhance anything.

Yay about the Giants too! It was a great game in every way. I loved the ads as well, so that was the icing on the cake. The only bad part was that I couldn't have any beer or pizza because of the diet. Otherwise it would have been perfect. LOL!

Heidi Meeley said...

Nick, the Hero/Beth thing blew me away. Totally unexpected, which is what made it so cool. Y The Last Man is a book I will miss.

I have been surprised about Witchblade for sure. For awhile it really sucked, but First Born has given it direction. Hopefully Top Cow can keep the momentum going!

Carl said...

Welp, I missed a bunch of Y issues and I hoped to get them at the New Year's Eve Sale but they only had ones that I owned already. Ssssssooooo, I guess I will wait for the last tpb.

I was into Witchblade for a while, then had to drop her 'cause of the money sitch way back when. I always loved Witchblade, the series, the toys, even met the guy that played Irons on the show and all that. Sometimes you can't go home again, especially when the back issues hit over 100.

Steve Rogers is still dead. So is Marvel to me. 'NUFF SAID!!!

I got ribbed about not watching the Super Bowl. Again, the only important conflicts in life are settled with weapons and deadly force. Besides, I refuse to fall for the substitute for tribal/regional warfare. In earlier (and in some cases recent) times, peoples of various regions, tribal settlements, cities and eventually countries went to war in the name of whatever reason they needed or wanted to do so. We need what they have. They don't respect our ways. We hate them. We have always been at war with Oceania. And so on. And this trick of having grown men to fight pseudobattles for regional, state or national pride? Why not just sent a youth out to kill a fake robot animal in the wilderness to prove his 'manhood' too? Just amazing.

And Iron Man again. BOYCOTT, I WILL NEVER YIELD, NEVVVVVVVVVER!!!
Thank you...

Heidi Meeley said...

Carl, once again I bow to you. Your determination and staying power are a tribute to your strength of will. I really admire that!