Sunday, April 30, 2006

Quick Takes on This Week's Stash


New Avengers Annual 1
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley.
It was definitely a big pile of comics this week, and a mixed bag to be sure. I finally set out to read a few of the stack, and have made the following judgements.

New Avengers Annual #1: I love Jessica Jones. She is a favorite Marvel character of mine. The fact that she and Luke Cage are getting married in a book that isn't hers bothered me from minute one.

My fears were confirmed when a lame ass battle scene was sandwiched between the great character dialogue in this stand alone issue. The villain and her story deserved better, and Luke and Jessica deserved more of the focus. Overall, I was pretty disapointed. C-

Astonishing X-Men #14: Now this is more like it, folks! I loved this issue for many reasons, not the least, Kitty coming through the floor for a very embarassing reason. Great dialogue and sweet art. A

Black Panther #15: Now this is how to do a romantic tale. Ororo and T'Challa completely steal the spotlight from Luke and Jessica in this second part of the storyline "Wedding of the Century". Big points to Scot Eaton for the insane art. B+

Batman #652: I really missed James Robinson's storytelling, and having him back here is a great gift. Batman has one of the strongest "OYL" storylines going, and it just keeps building. Kudos for the scene between Batman and Bullock. B

Catwoman #54: My pre-read favorite this week didn't let me down. The new Catwoman loses it as Selena tries to keep the focus on her new daughter. There are so many great mysteries here, and the art by David Lopez just enhances it. Excellent. A

The Thing #6: This book continues to impress, as Ben tries to do the right thing, and the Yancey Street Gang can't leave well enough alone. Writer Dan Slott just gets it. B+

X-Factor #6: The origin of Layla Miller? I was a bit confused, but certainly intrigued by Peter David's take on one of my favorite new characters. This book is shaping up to be the OTHER "IT" X-Men title in my eyes. B

Checkmate #1: Surprise hit of the week for me. I can't wait to see what happens next. The identity of the new White and Black royalty kicked ass, and their soldiers make perfect sense. I am in heaven. I can't wait to see a certain Dark Knight make a guest appearance. A

No comments: