Saturday, May 26, 2007

Random Thoughts and Musings

It is a gorgeous day here. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and I have three days off in a row! Yay! I slept WAY in and went to the gym for a couple of hours before taking Jim to Red Robin for an excellent lunch. It just doesn't get much better then this.

EXCEPT... I am taking the girls out to a Chippendales type of show tonight. They needed a designated driver/responsible person. God knows how I got that kind of type casting, but I think it should be fun. I can look at scantily clad, gyrating men without benefit of alcohol, so I guess I was the obvious choice. Besides, it's all in good fun. SIDE NOTE: for those offended I am being a responsible person and taking the girls somewhere naughty, please don't give me a bunch of crap. As someone well over 21, it is my prerogative.

At any rate, I am a lucky person. I have a long weekend and we are finally going to go see Spider-Man 3 tomorrow. I am going to go get tickets early to make sure. Hopefully the majority of viewers will be going to see Pirates or Shrek 3, so we won't have any problems. I really want to see the movie!

One bummer note is that I read on Newsarama that writer Dan Slott is leaving She-Hulk with issue 21. Though Slott has been controversial with some bloggers, I have enjoyed the empirical value of his excellent work. I love his Shulkie and can't imagine him not writing her. Any word on the new creative team?

I am really jealous of Jim Demonakos, who went to Memphis for a barbecue festival. It sounds so good. I am also jealous that he got to go to Graceland. For now, I will have to live vicariously through him, and if I see him in Seattle, I will bombard him with descriptions of all the barbecue he got to eat.

The level-headed and brilliant Lisa at Sequentially Speaking gives a beautifully done exposition on women and comics. She gives examples of things she has witnessed as a shop owner and shares tales heard from other women. Lisa, you got it right. It is hard to be a woman collector. God knows, everytime I tell a grown man I collect comics, he looks at me like I have two heads. The women just shake their heads in pity. Somedays it is like a gal just can't win. I am out of the closet, so to speak, in my collecting, and it stuns people everytime I talk about it. What the hell is the big deal, anyway? So I don't spend my money on new curtains- I buy comics. Get off my ass!! At any rate, Lisa did an excellent job, so go check it out.

Laura at Bloggity-Blog-Blog-Blog continues to do well with her weight loss. She is one of my inspirations, and I am really proud of her. She has done this the healthy way, and it is an example that we should all follow.

Speaking of weight loss, I am going to go take my supplements and try to keep it going on my end as well. I have only lost 3 more pounds since my own contest has ended, but last week I started a new program of creatine loading and taking branched chain amino acids just to see what I can do. Only the next ten weeks will tell. I have upped my weight lifting, and all my lifts have really improved. I leg press 360 pound now and I am really happy about that. I squat 225 pounds and bench press 105 pounds. Lest I get accused of trying to do heavy lifting, let me state that I can do 10 reps at each of those weights so it isn't me maxing the machine out. It is just how much my body has progressed. Osteoporosis, get the hell out of my way! I want to be in great shape and live a long life.

Have a wonderful Saturday night and keep your fingers crossed that none of my girlfriends go run off with the dancers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"God knows, everytime I tell a grown man I collect comics, he looks at me like I have two heads. The women just shake their heads in pity."

If it makes you feel any better, that's pretty much the same reaction us men get when we tell people we collect comics. ;)

Heidi Meeley said...

Mark, I agree completely. I have seen how non-comic readers in general treat "our kind" and it horrifies me. God knows sometimes I think the family dog gets treated better then the average comic reader. How much is ignorance and how much is an ingrained belief system is beyond me.