Sunday, November 11, 2007

Thoughts on New Comics and Random Musings


Y the Last Man #59
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley
At the grocery store tonight it was pure hell. Evidently Thanksgiving is in a week and a half and people are starting to panic. I couldn't believe the sheer amount of food in carts and the tension level felt. I figured we would have at least until this coming weekend before the panic set in. I was wrong.

In reading this week, Y the Last Man #59 went in a direction I was not expecting. Yorick's reaction to last issue's tragic event was one of strength and a sense of reckoning. I was not prepared for that as I figured violence would beget more violence. What this means for the end of the journey is definitely a mystery. I will miss Yorick and his cast very much when it is all done with next issue.

The Search for Ray Palmer: Red Rain was very well done. The cast of Donna, Jason, Kyle, and Bob is a success as far as I am concerned. In this issue, the gang pays a visit to a world where Batman is a vampire. Kelley Jones' eerie art really set the tone and the script by Peter Johnson clinched it for me. Having artists Eric Battle and Angel Unzueta also on board didn't distract me, which was a pleasant surprise. I have really come to appreciate the journey these characters on and think it is the highpoint of the whole "Countdown" saga.

"Secret Invasion" kicked off in The New Avengers: Illuminati #5. I can't say I was surprised by how it all went down, as the characters who were revealed as skrulls has supposedly died or disapeared prior to being shown. I really can't decide what to think about this and if I even want to follow it. I will have to read it again to be sure which direction to be follow. It didn't instantly earn my love, so that is something to consider.

Does anyone else thing that Astonishing X-Men is the storyline that never ends? Cripes, I can't even remember how the team got in this soup. Does anyone know when issue #24 is supposed to come out?

Other then my review of Fallen Angel #21, I haven't read the rest of my stack. I am busy studying for my pesiticide dealer-manager test. Wish me luck as I am going to take it Tuesday. I have to renew every four years, and it is that time again. Luckily most of the book is common sense so I am hoping to do well.

Nothing more tonight. I have to read my pesticide book and try and remember as much as possible. Since I have to work tomorrow while several of you lucky people have the day off, it is crucial to be ready now for the test on Tuesday. I am jealous of those of you that have the day off. My postman friend is planning to go see a movie and relax. Jealous, I tell you! LOL!

Have a wonderful evening!

4 comments:

Eaglewing said...

Yeah, surprising how tense people get in stores all for a holiday. Christmas is worse - for what's suppose to be a happy and joyous time of year, there sure are a lot of tense and crabby people about.

Batman as a vampire? yeah, I guess I could see it. Would be an interesting angle - he wouldn't need his gadgets anymore. Of course, his chest armor would protect him from a stake through the heart, which would come in handy.

Everytime I hear an Astonishing X-Men ish is coming out, I go "oh yeah, is that still going?" I'm reading it in trades as I'm a fan of Whedon, but I'll have to go back and read them all in a row to remember the whole storyline.

Good luck with your pesticide test. I'll admit, it doesn't sound like fun. I'd rather read comics, but hope it goes well for you.

Lisa said...

It looks like Astonishing #24 was originally scheduled for 12/5/07, but I won't count on that. I thought the first arc was great and I think I remember thinking that this one started out pretty well, but it does seem like it's gone off track somewhere.

Pesticide - sounds exciting.

Heidi Meeley said...

Eaglewing, I have to admit at being rather startled at the pre-holiday hysteria. I was hoping to be in denial about it for a bit more. :-) I guess it started without me! Lovely, huh? Yep, gotta enjoy those tense folks and their total lack of manners, huh? LOL.

Batman as a vampire is actually very cool. It so goes against his code of "every life is precious" that the dichotomy really pushes the story.

As for Astonishing X-Men, I am really starting to think that trade is the way to go. It will be a much more cohesive read. You are smart to do so.

Thank you for the well wishes. I am praying to pass it the first time. The more I read the book, the more I realize how crucial it is to be careful and read the labels completely. Folks that apply pesticides have a bit of a heavy responsibility as errors can cost lives and dollars. It is something else, I tell ya!

All in all I would rather be reading comics!!

Take care, my friend!

Heidi Meeley said...

Lisa, that is my problem. I am pretty sure that I am enjoying the story but I can't remember for sure!! LOL! I think Eaglewing may be the smarter person for waiting to read the trade. I love John Cassaday's art, so I am being patient, but it is tough!!

Yes, pesticides are fascinating any way you slice it!! :-)