Monday, October 03, 2005

Harsh! Hated Female Characters #4: Icemaiden


Ice Maiden
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley.
No, I'm not talking about Tora AKA Ice. The Icemaiden I am referring to is Sigrid Nansen. She was Icemaiden in the Global Guardians before Tora but had many fears and doubts that crippled her and made her resign in shame.

When Tora died in action, Sigrid came on board to try and carry on Tora's legacy. Sigrid bonded with Fire and Nuklon in that incarnation of the league starting in Justice League America #98. She has since faded back in the wood work, but was last seen dating Olivia Reynolds, Hal Jordan's old flame, and was still in the hero business.

What I don't like about this incarnation of Icemaiden is the dreaded insecurities. Sigrid was so fraught with fear of failure that her character never had a chance to blossom. I was also disapointed that the crux of her storyline was put on her sexuality instead of her heroism. I have no problem with her orientation, and thought that if the focus had been put on carrying on for Tora instead of "is she or isn't she", she could have blossomed further.

Her insecurities and the long, weird talks Sigrid had with Fire got on my nerves as well. I'm a chick and it got way to flowery for me. I am still trying to figure out why writer Gerard Jones put such a focus on what was wrong with Sigrid and her failures instead of bringing her up to speed.

I also didn't like Icemaiden's costume. In my book, both she and Fire needed to put on more clothes. To regain her dignity, it would have helped to cover up a bit. Fire is more of a challenge since she actually turns to flame, but there is no reason why Icemaiden couldn't have gotten some special treatment.

My verdict is that Sigrid was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would be interested to see how she would do in a new or different team with more bravery and a new outlook on life.

No comments: