Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Creator Interview: Gabriel Armenta; Colorist of The Gifted


Gifted page
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley.

Gabriel Armenta is the colorist on the upcoming The Gifted mini-series being published by Angel Gate Press. From what I have seen of his work so far, it is hard to beat. Just looking at the page pictured here, I can see that the book is going to be gorgeous.

It was with great pleasure that I exchanged Q&A’s with Armenta, the results of which are below. Take a gander!


Comics Fairplay: How did you get into the industry?
Gabriel Armenta: San Diego Comic Con 2005, QEW Publishing. Yes, this is my first job in the industry!


CF: Tell me about your influences?
GA: As a child Bob Larkin and Joe Jusko really brought the heroes I loved to life. Today, Alex Ross for carrying the torch and David Mack for great design work.


CF: What audience are you hoping to reach with your work?
GA: All comic book fans who appreciate comic art as a true art form!


CF: What unique qualities do you possess that make you stand out from your peers?
GA: I like to switch back and forth with traditional media and digital. I like to see if I can still paint with a paint brush as well as painting something digital. There is just something with traditional media that captures your soul that gets lost with digital.


CF: What project are you currently working on?
GA: Aside from The Gifted, I'm currently working on a horror movie poster for a local director, a cover illustration for a fictional novel, and completing my final semester for my BA in illustration at The Art Center Design College in Tucson, AZ.


CF: How many issues is your project and when do you foresee it being solicited? Anything special you can mention right now?
GA: I believe The Gifted is a 6 issue mini-series which is set for release next year 2007. Not sure what I can say about the comic but it sure is different than anything that's out now!


CF: What do you think about the industry today? Where do you see the industry five years from now?
GA: The industry has finally been recognized as true artistic entertainment! These are exciting times for comic fans, with movie being made and award shows (Spike TV) giving comics a category at their awards show. I feel that the comic industry will reach more fans with different types of media (movies, TV, etc), maybe striking their interest in picking up a comic.


CF: Tell me something about yourself that has nothing to do with comic books but that people might find interesting or surprising?
GA: I used to dance Native American pow-wow dances for conventions across the U.S.


CF: Where would you like to see yourself five years from now?
GA: Hopefully, having a successful career as a comic book illustrator.


CF: Any closing comments?
GA: "Never let your dreams die!"

1 comment:

maya said...

I'm a struggling artist myself and I found this interview to be very inspirational.