Thursday, November 03, 2005

Hot Book of the Week: Seven Soldiers Bulleteer #1


Seven Soldiers Bulleteer 1
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley.
Grant Morrison hits it out of the park once again as the ambitious Seven Soldiers project takes aim at a fresh take on a classic character. Seven Soldiers: Bulleteer #1 is intriguing- it is a mystery wrapped in a noir blanket. What is even more ironic is that of all the Seven Soldiers mini-series, I had the lowest expectations for a book that has captured my attention in a big way.

If you haven't been following Morrison's epic event, don't worry about trying to catch up. Bulleteer stands on it's own, as Morrison and DC promised at the beginning of this project.

Personally, I have bought and read each issue of the Seven Soldiers saga with mixed emotions. My favorite has been the Shining Knight mini-series, while Guardian left me a bit cold. Klarion The Witch Boy just ended, and I loved Morrison's take on him. Disapointingly, the Zatanna mini is running seriously late, so it has lost a great deal of luster in my eyes.

At any rate, if you have a spare $2.99, go out and grab a copy of Seven Soldiers: Bulleteer #1. It is definitely the book of the week for me.

4 comments:

Vaklam said...

I completely agree with you about Bulleteer. It has a different pace from the other first issues in this megaminiseries.

Zatanna (despite the delays) is my favorite but the art in Klarion blew me away.

Heidi Meeley said...

I really liked the fact that the story was so good in Bulleteer that I saw her skin as a plot tool! Grant Morrison really hit it out of the park with this one.

I agree that the Zatanna mini is a great take. She is being portrayed more Vertigo then DC, which works well from my perspective. I am awaiting delivery of issue 4 eagerly as well!

What did you think of issue one of Mister Miracle?

Vaklam said...

I liked Mister Miracle. It's not my favorite of the bunch but I'm a sucker for the old Scott Free stories and I think that Morrison's take on it has some of his best character work.

Plus, weird extradimensional crap. Weird extradimensional crap always scores extra points with me.

Heidi Meeley said...

Weird extradimensional crap is always a two thumbs up for me as well!

Seven Soldiers has in general been a great read. I can hardly wait to get to the bottom of exactly what Morrison is up to. After reading the entire run of The Invisibles, I had weird dreams for two nights following, so my expectations for strangeness here are pretty high!