Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Checking Out This Week's Swag


100 Bullets 67
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley.
My wonderful husband went to the comic book shop this week and picked up our books, saving me having to make the effort. Bless his heart, as it is a chilly 21 degrees out today. Our bill was huge, but I am trying not to think about that right now.

The first book I looked at was 100 Bullets #67. This issue focused on Dizzy, my favorite character in the title, and the aftermath of her killing of Graves. I eagerly read it, and was not disapointed. Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso are taking us on the ride of our lives.

In Infinite Crisis tie-in news, I checked out Hawkman #47 and JLA #123. I was happy to see Hawkman catching up to continuity with this issue. Hawkman is as ruthless as ever, and Hawkgirl is in the thick of things kicking major ass. Adam Strange has always been a favorite guest star of mine, so it was nice to see him as well.

Unfortunately, JLA has left me cold. Since the pre-Infinite Crisis arc done by Johns and Heinberg, any follow up would have likely flopped, and this is no exception. The team is splintering as expected, but with none of the drama or emotion I was hoping for. With the series ending in a couple of months, I will pick up the book until the end, but with a sense of disapointment.

The Marvel books I looked at first were Son of M #1 and Marvel Knights Spider-Man #21. Son of M intrigued me because I was really wanting to find out what happened to Pietro after his outrageous betrayal of his kind. After one issue, I am a bit interested, but it wasn't as much of a slam dunk as I thought it would be.

MK Spider-Man was the aftermath of the big "death" issue. I am not a fan of Pat Lee, so it was hard to deal with the issue to begin with, but sad to say, it left me cold.

That is as far as I have gotten into the books, but I am loving every minute. I finally feel good enough to sit upright for longer periods of time, and am feeling more lucid as I am down to just ibuprofen for pain support.

Take care and enjoy this week's haul!

2 comments:

Melchior del DariƩn said...

Glad to hear that things continue well with you.

I had the same feeling about the JLA, though it was nice to see more of how the "puny" left-behinders are reacting to Donna Troy's whisking away their more "capable" companions for her band of space heroes.

I've been in a Marvel groove so far this week. X-Factor was an absolute blast, and Uncanny X-Men was nice. (Actually, I guess it's an X-groove; I thought New X-Men #21 also had some good moments: "Dude, I am not going to be Storm! Change the Channel!") I may have lost all capability to judge, but, with Uncanny #466-7 and New Excalibur, #1-2, it does seem like Claremont's back to producing decent story-lines.

Heidi Meeley said...

I am really excited to read X-Factor now, since you said that. I love Peter David, so I am looking forward to his take on the team.

I read Uncanny X-Men and really enjoyed it. What a mess, huh? How they get out of it is anyone's guess.

I haven't read New X-Men,but am planning to do so today. It sounds like it has some great moments as well.

I got a little side tracked this week and started reading my Sandman trade paperbacks, but hope to get through the rest of my books for the week by tomorrow. I am a total X-fan, so I have a lot of good reading ahead of me.

Take care!