Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Rock of Love: Is Lacey Really the Devil or Just His Agent?


Lacey is the devil!!
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley
After taking a bit of time off talking about Rock of Love, I find myself brimming with musings. I know that it really isn't comic book related, but I pretty much figured it would give me a chance to say my peace while taking a night off from bitching about the state of the industry and Diamond.

For those of you who don't watch the show, Rock of Love is a dating show where Poison frontman Bret Michaels is trying to find a woman to fall for. He started with 25 ladies (I use that term loosely) and is now down to five. The last few weeks have seen a mudbowl football game and challenges related to life on the road. Throughout this all, a theme has emerged about each remaining lady. These themes are as follows:

Sam is a sweet, soulful girl who is trying to learn to trust again. Don't let those tattoos fool you- she is a softy.

Jes with the pink and platinum hair is the beauty. She is more refined then some of the other ladies in the house, and she is also younger.

Brandi is a party girl. Her nickname is blowjob Brandi, so that may give an indication of things. I like Brandi for her spirit and her bluntness. She calls 'em like she sees them and parties way too hard.

Heather is the seasoned stripper with a heart of gold. She relates well to Bret and has no problem removing her top whenever possible.

Lacey is the devil. Seriously, they have set Lacey up as the PETA crazy, conniving bitch of the house and you know what? I am convinced. About the sixth time during the last episode that I said "What a bitch", my husband rollled his eyes at me mercilessly. I am obviously convinced.

What is interesting is that in this last episode, with the herd thinning out, personalities have emerged at last. Each girl fits a niche and is a contender. It all boils down to what rocker Bret is looking for. Does he want a crazy chick or does he want a soulful softy with tattoos? At this point I don't know.

What I do know is that this show entertains me every week. I love the fact that a lead singer of such a notorious metal band is trying his hand ala The Bachelor style at finding love. If you would have told me twenty years ago that sexy Bret would resort to a dating show, I would have laughed my ass off. The guy is a legendary cocksman in the fine tradition of Mick Jagger, Jimmy Page, and the ilk. The guy gets around. To see him have to tone down his natural predatory tendencies is unbelievable to witness.

I honestly don't think Bret is going to find the love of his life here, though it would be fantastic if he did. Can you imagine the fairytale ending? All of us metal chicks have dreamt of getting the rock star, but very few ever have. It just doesn't happen.

Next week finds the ladies being interrogated by three of Bret's biggest "fans". It looks like the gloves are off for good and that there is a lot of tears and stress. I know I will definitely be in front of my television screeen enjoying every minute of it.

No comments: