Sunday, April 29, 2007

Quick Take Reviews for April 29

Powers #24: an unsatisfying ending to a storyline that seemed to drag on forever. This one really went out on a limb. What I am hoping is that the next issue ties it all together because we as fans have been very patient. In the letters page Bendis has said there is going to be a big payoff. Bring it on. Grade: C.

Justice Society of America #5: I am finding myself very drawn into this current storyline which pairs the JSA with the latest incarnation of the Justice League. The “seven soldiers” concept has been recreated for modern times and it really reminds me of the original telling. As an old broad, I remember reading the original storyline back in the first series of Justice League of America and thinking it can never be topped. It looks like Johns and Meltzer are trying to prove us wrong. I did miss Dale Eaglesham’s art though. Grade: A.

Fantastic Four #545: I love Duane McDuffie’s scripting. I am also happy to see Paul Pelletier on this title. I have been a fan of his art for quite some time. After really actively disliking the last run on this title, it is a relief to see a fresh start. Hopefully this “Reconstruction” story arc will bring the team back to its roots and get Sue and Reed a balance in their marriage. At this point I am very hopeful. Grade: B+.

Outsiders Annual #1: Where the hell was this book six months ago? I dropped the book because it was so confusing and after reading this I am pretty sure this would have kept me picking it up instead of being so angry. The annual fills in all the gaps that made the book impossible to follow. With capable art by Scott McDaniel and Andy Owens, this book flowed as well as any Outsiders issue I have seen in the last two years. After reading this, I am pissed. It should have been out a LONG time ago. For the book: Grade: B. For the timing: D-.

Silent War #4 (of 6): Wow. David Hine and Frazer Irving are really shaking up the Inhuman’s world. Blackbolt finally shows a little emotion and its consequences are brutal. The fragile inner structure of the royal family comes undone with ferocity. I have got to see how this ends! Grade: B.

Devi #10: My first question upon reading this issue was to wonder where the original art team had gone. The pencils here were rough and looked unfinished. I also felt disappointed with the flow of the series as a whole. It seems that ever since the Devi has awakened, the book has diverged into so many directions that it has lost its focus. As much as I love the concept and want to see where this book is going, this last issue left me less then optimistic. Grade: C-.

4 comments:

ShellyS said...

I'd figured they'd delayed the story for the Outsiders annual because they didn't want to spoil anything in 52, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it was. I'm sticking with Outsiders through the Checkmate crossover and then, unless something marvelous is going on in it, I'm dropping it.

Anonymous said...

I'm also enjoying the JLA-JSA teamup so far. I like how they've evoked the pattern of the old team-ups (splitting the larger group into smaller teams on some kind of quest), while still retaining the modern flavor of storytelling.

I think it proves to the "Don't bring back the Silver Age" naysayers that it IS possible to incorporate nostalgic themes with a contemporary spin, without slavishly mimicking the Silver Age tales.

After all, it's the concepts we love, not necessarily the storytelling styles or creators of the originals. In this case, the grand old tradition of JLA-JSA team-ups....with the Legion of Superheroes thrown in for good measure!

Heidi Meeley said...

Shelly, I was thinking the same thing. I couldn't find a single reason to delay the story for that long. Hopefully the Checkmate crossover will redeem the book, otherwise it is definitely "bye bye". I enjoy Checkmate so I am planning to pick the crossover up as well.

Heidi Meeley said...

Mark, I am glad to hear that you are also enjoying the JLA-JSA team up. It really harkens back to the old school stuff for me, though I have read some pretty harsh reviews on the 'net hating on it. I guess it all boils down to individual taste, and while I wasn't a fan of the first story arc, I am enjoying this one.