Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Random Thoughts and Musings: The Reality Check Edition

Tonight I sat in line for a half hour at a gas pump establishment to save 40 cents a gallon. That basically added up to $5.20 by the time it was all said and done. Now it is almost 8 p.m. and I am just now sitting down to blog. After that I need to eat and get cleaned up. This really makes me think.

How much is my time is worth?

Do I want to wait in line a half hour to save $5 while I am tired and hungry and could be home relaxing before my next work day? The $5 I saved will buy the teriyaki chicken rice bowl I will consume at lunch tomorrow. I think of it that way and am happy. Then I realize that I could have packed a lunch tomorrow at a dollar value of about $3 and saved the time. Hmmm... I am still money ahead to sit in line. But....

What price is my sanity worth?

This is a conundrum. Obviously the price of gas isn't going to go down anytime soon. It may never go lower again. This might just be the price of driving my car. What it boils down to is that I will go see my family less and will pick and choose the reason I travel. It also makes me wonder how much time I will be waiting in line at pumps in the future.

Damn.

In connecting this to comic books, let me just say this:

Compared to waiting in line for a half hour to get gas, the Final Crisis continuity gaffes don't mean dick. At the rate prices of everything are rising, it is probably a moot point. Who gives a crap that the New Gods continuity is screwed up because DC Editorial couldn't keep track of their timeline sufficiently? I will probably be selling my freaking "Death of the New Gods" run and trying to fire sale the "Countdown" series to pay for said fuel for my car, so it really won't matter.

That is my reality check.

1 comment:

Eaglewing said...

I never quite did get the idea of driving across town to save 50 cents on a grocery item, or blowing a half hour to save 5 bucks. To me, time and energy are way more important than money.

Still, the reality check is really starting to hit. And it's going to keep spiraling as prices go out of control. I just hope I can still afford my fave comics. Must have something to read when I can't afford to drive anywhere anymore.