Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Best Part of CIVIL WAR: Wolverine 43


Wolverine 43
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley.
Of all the different books involved in Civil War and all the drama herein, my absolute favorite has got to be Wolverine. I am really enjoying writer Marc Guggenheim and artist Humberto Ramos' take on the character, and I think his reactions are the truest to the situation of any "hero" involved. Wolverine is in character, and it is a nice change of pace from the other books (hint, hint: Sue and Reed).

In this Civil War arc, Wolverine decides to get to the root of the problem. He has made it his mission to hunt down Nitro, whose blast killed so many civilians, including many school children. Of course, the government and Tony Stark aren't going to make it easy on him, but that is par for the course. Does anything ever go swimmingly for Marvel's favorite Mutant?

I didn't think I would be thrilled with Ramos' work on the book, but I love it. Ramos isn't afraid to make Wolverine short and stocky, as he was originally intended. He also really brings out the action portion of the story, with broad strokes and great emotion. Overall, Ramos is a great fit for the title, albeit an unlikely one.

Through all the dreck I have waded through in pursuit of a good story, Wolverine #43 is the best I have come up with. I don't know if that is good or bad, but it is the gospel truth.

Has anyone else been following the whole "event"?? Speaking of "event": why is it that rather then a limited series with tie-ins? What is the distinction? Does calling it an "event" make it a whole lot cooler then DC and their "random" maxi and mini-series? Just a thought!

No comments: