Saturday, October 27, 2007

Covers I Love: Punisher War Journal #15


Punisher War Journal #15
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley
Since I posted a cover image I didn't care for yesterday, I thought I would post a few that really appealed to me. The first one is this cover for Punisher War Journal #15. I love this image by Ariel Ollivetti and think it would sell books.

What captures my attention is the action feel of the picture. Punisher is playing for keeps with Kraven the Hunter. I can literally feel the elbow crunching into Kraven's cheek. I appreciate the intent look on Frank's face as he fights for his life. The sheer power of the characters is shown through large, weightlifter arms and the ripples of muscle in Frank's back.

The water at the bottom of the cover adds a clever effect as does the sun shining through the top of the building. Everything about this is eye catching.

I would buy this comic off the shelf based on the visual imagery alone. What about you?

6 comments:

Eaglewing said...

Though I prefer Frank in the gritty crime world vs the superhero universe of Marvel, I'd buy it cause it's the Punisher dishing it out. It's a great action cover.

Carl said...

The art in the new PWJ was really cool and different, sleek, slick and dark yet really raw too. Butttttttt, still boycotting Marvel until Cap's return, no sale...

Vaklam said...

I agree! This is a great cover. It makes me want to see how that fight started. Also, Olivetti is awesome. I prefer his covers to his interior work, though.

Heidi Meeley said...

Eaglewing, the elbow to the face sells me. That is just flat cool. :-) I love the action shot.

Heidi Meeley said...

Carl, I am feeling your pain here, cuz to be quite, well, frank, Punisher Max and WJ have been very good. I wish you were getting them, but understand your boycott very well!!

Heidi Meeley said...

Vaklam, interesting point about the covers being preferred to the interiors. Something about his covers just bat it out of the park, don't they?