Sunday, June 18, 2006

SAVE SUE AND REED'S MARRIAGE!


Fantastic Four 541
Originally uploaded by Heidi Meeley.
All week I have been stirred up about Peter Parker unmasking when all along I should have seen it as 'shock and awe" tactics played by Marvel to deflect from the other big news coming down the pipeline.

My opinion: Civil War is another excuse to break up the most sacred marriage in comics today: Reed and Sue Richards.

Think about it- ever since this whole secret Marvel meeting "cabal" or whatever they are calling it, has been meeting, Reed has been being portrayed as being secretive with Sue. Small things like this have been being hinted at so that we can't say we didn't see it coming.

I could be wrong, but it sure looks to me as if Marvel plans to break up the ultimate couple.

I lived through Scott and Jean's relationship dissolving, but I will not sit back quietly and watch Sue and Reed divorce. In my mind, much like the death of Uncle Ben, this marriage is a sacred institution, not to be retconned.

Besides, there are children to consider here. Franklin and Valeria have a tough enough life- don't make their mommy and daddy split up on top of it.

Oh the horror. I can't take it. If you need me, I will be injesting 3 ibuprofen and hiding in my living room.

6 comments:

Carl said...

Pretty much nothing is sacred at Marvel except for the bottom line: profits.
While there were times I wondered what the hell was going on with Reed and Sue (especially her thing for the Submariner and the last comic I saw him in made him look like a very gay elf) but I always knew at the end of the story arc, things would be okay. It's like all the current people in Marvel had bad, bleak childhoods and are now projecting that on the Marvel Universe. 'Cause that's normal for them, instead being in the minority of average middle class upbringings. Yep, I knew kids that had them or divorced parents, but the majority of people I knew had at least decent childhoods. Hmmmm, I'd say if you want to write or editor for Marvel in the future, force them to get a psych examination and prune out all the dysfunctional manic-depressives before they start writing/ruining our favorite books. Or is it too late?

Melchior del DariƩn said...

Yeah, I agree. They're clearly going to be on opposite sides. Reed's interaction with Sue in Civil War #2 certainly made him come off looking like an insensitive, patronising, unloving, divorceable jerk.

Your Obedient Serpent said...

It's not the first time they've split up; it happened at least a couple of times in the '70s.

It hasn't happened since Byrne redefined Sue as a Strong, Powerful, Tigress-Defending-Her-Cubs Ultimate Supermom, and Reed as The Guy Whose Brain May Be In Another Dimension But His Heart Is Always With His Family.

Heidi Meeley said...

Carl, I think it is probably too late. My hubby and I were talking about how far issues are advance solicited, and it looks like Marvel probably made this decision awhile ago.

Of course, that doesn't mean they won't get a nasty letter from me...

Heidi Meeley said...

Melchior- I really noticed in CW 2 that Reed was uncharacteristically snarky and secretive as well. I just feel it in my bones that it is leading to the big "D".

It is not good news at all.

Heidi Meeley said...

Obedient- that is true. There have been problems between the two in the past for sure.

My problem with this is that in my mind, Sue and Reed have been through the wars and deserve to live happily ever after, even if no one else does. They have paid their dues, Namor flirtations aside.

I am still clinging to the hope that I am wrong about this.